DFA: 6 more Filipinos abroad die from COVID-19; toll now at 55
MANILA, Philippines — Six more Filipinos abroad have died due to the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Monday.
Thus, the number of overseas Filipino fatalities is now at 55, with the six new deaths reported from the American region and Europe, it noted.
“In terms of overall deaths, the Americas recorded a sudden spike with an increasing trend beginning the month of April compared to all the other regions as reported by the (World Health Organization),” DFA said.
“Many of our (overseas Filipinos) are in the North Americas and therefore remain vulnerable to this observed trend,” it added.
Meanwhile, based on the latest DFA data, 535 Filipinos overseas have now contracted the highly contagious respiratory illness.
DFA also said these COVID-19 positive Filipinos are in “34 countries/regions covering the Americas, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, and Middle East & Africa.”
Of the total, 347 are undergoing treatment while 133 have so far recovered, DFA noted.
DFA nevertheless assured that it would continue to organize and facilitate initiatives that would cater to the needs of land-based Filipino workers abroad as well as seafarers who are in countries affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.