Filipinos in Macau to be back in PH before weekend ends — DFA exec | Global News
Close  

Filipinos in Macau to be back in PH before weekend ends — DFA exec

By: - Reporter / @ConsINQ
/ 12:44 PM March 05, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Filipinos from Macau which was hit by the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) are expected to arrive in the Philippines before this weekend, an official from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Thursday.

Foreign Affairs Undersecretary Brigido Dulay said 148 Filipinos, composed of overseas workers, tourists, and undocumented workers, will board a chartered flight to the Philippines.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Marami sa kababayan, hindi natin alam kung ano trato sa kanila sa ibang bansa so this is the best and most direct flight that we can get for them,” Dulay, DFA Undersecretary for Civilian Security and Consular Concerns, told reporters in Manila when asked about updates for repatriation of Filipinos from Macau.

(We really don’t know how other countries are treating our countrymen so this is the best and most direct flight that we can get for them.)

FEATURED STORIES

“’Yun gagawin natin before the weekend is over. Uuwi na sila [Filipinos in Macau] lahat so before the weekend ends they are all back in the Philippines,” he added.

(That is what we will do before the weekend is over. Filipinos in Macau will go home so before the weekend ends they are all back in the Philippines.)

Dulay also noted that aside from 148 Filipinos, 48 Filipinos in Macau, who are members of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration, will board a commercial flight.

The Department of Health previously said Filipinos in Macau are treated as persons under monitoring or those coming from areas hit by COVID-19 but are asymptomatic. The repatriates will be placed under home quarantine but will still be monitored by the government.

OFWs in Hong Kong looking for new employers

Quoting the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), Dulay said Filipino workers in Hong Kong who had been terminated from work have remained in the territory to look for new employers.

“‘Yung mga sinasabing na-terminate, sinasabi ng Department of Labor, ay naghahanap na ng bagong employer,” Dulay said.

(Those who were terminated, the DOLE said, they are now looking for new employers.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Asked if sacked Filipino migrant workers in Hong Kong requested to be repatriated, the DFA official said: “So far, wala naman. [There’s none].”

On Tuesday, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro “Boy” Locsin Jr. said the DFA will immediately repatriate Filipino workers in Hong Kong who were fired from work after demanding that their rest days be spent outside of their places of work amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III previously said Filipinos losing jobs in Hong Kong are isolated cases, saying Filipino migrant workers are being terminated from work because their employers are not permanent residents in Hong Kong.

Edited by MUF

Subscribe to our global nation newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Brigido Dulay, Department of Foreign Affairs, Department of Labor and Employment, globalnation, Macau, Overseas Filipino workers
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our global news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.