No report on Egyptian couple on suicide mission in Sulu — AFP
MANILA, Philippines — The Armed Forces of the Philippines on Tuesday said it has no information on the reported Egyptian couple set to carry out a suicide mission in Sulu.
AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Edgard Arevalo said it is currently pursuing leads to the perpetrators of the apparent suicide bombings in Basilan and Sulu.
“We have no information on the alleged Egyptian couple in cahoots with local terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group in improvised explosive device explosions in Sulu (as what was reportedly revealed by an ‘academic analyst on terrorism’),” he told reporters.
“We are in the process of pursuing leads to the perpetrators of the IED explosions in Sulu and Basilan. But we have no report so far pointing to the participation of such Egyptian couple,” he added.
Philippine Institute for Peace, Violence, and Terrorism President Rommel Banlaoi claimed that an Egyptian couple is already in Sulu to carry out a suicide bombing mission upon the instructions of the Islamic State.
He had no information, however, since when the Egyptian couple has been staying in the Philippines. He said the military and police are already aware of this report.
In less than a year, there have been three apparent suicide bombing attacks in Mindanao — two in Sulu and one in Basilan.
The third incident only happened two weeks ago at the headquarters of a military camp in Indanan, Sulu, which killed eight people and wounded 22 others. It was carried out by two attackers.
Last week, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said these attacks are “becoming an occurrence,” and they are “very much concerned” about it.
Arevalo said they will continue to collaborate with other agencies to prevent radicalism and counter violent extremism. (Editor: Eden Estopace)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.