Close  
TO HOLD CHINA ACCOUNTABLE

Global attention on boat ramming incident a must, says ex-SolGen

/ 10:51 AM June 17, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – In order to hold China accountable for a Chinese vessels’ reported ramming of a Filipino fishing boat and desertion of its 22 crew members in the West Philippine Sea (WPS) the Philippine government should “internationalize” the matter, former Solicitor General Florin Hilbay said.

READ: China fishing vessel sinks Filipino boat after ‘collision’ in West Philippine Sea 

ADVERTISEMENT

“The reason why a smaller country such as the Philippines needs to internationalize the matter, is to create an environment of accountability, to make China say, ‘Okay, we recognize the facts, we’re going to investigate it’,” Hilbay said in an interview with ABS-CBN Channel on Monday.

“But if we’re not even going to complain, then there’s no trigger for the Chinese government to investigate and find some sort of accountability, I don’t think anybody will blame the Filipino fishermen here because they were anchored safely, in Philippine waters and they were the ones who suffered the damage,” he added.

FEATURED STORIES

Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. earlier said that the Philippine government has filed a diplomatic protest following the incident that happened at the Recto (Reed) Bank in the West Philippine Sea last June 9.

READ: Locsin fires off diplomatic protest after ‘collision’ of Chinese, PH vessels 

Locsin, however, rejected suggestions that the government seek help from the international community.

Locsin pointed out that doing so will make it appear that “we cannot handle our own problems alone and without even trying first.”

READ: ‘No way, José,’ says Locsin in nixing calls to tap int’l help vs China aggression 

Hilbay said that not internationalizing the issue would further weaken the government’s position “at the level of policy and to the extent that they want to help the Filipino fishermen.”

“If we complain about the matter, and China doesn’t do anything about it, then there’s a reputational cost it will have to pay,” he added.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Chinese Foreign Ministry earlier called the reported collision as an “ordinary maritime incident” and said that it is investigating the matter.

“Such incidents can be properly handled through regular channels. It is irresponsible to resort to the media to hype and politicize the incident without verification,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang said in a press briefing last week.

“China will continue the investigation into the matter of the lives and property of the two peoples and coordinate with the Philippine side to properly handle it,” he added.

Meanwhile, Vice President Leni Robredo called for a Philippine trial of the Chinese crew members who reportedly abandoned 22 Filipino fishermen after its vessel hit the latter’s fishing boat.

“We strongly urge the Department of Foreign Affairs to demand from the Chinese government to find those responsible and recognize Philippine jurisdiction, so they can face trial before our courts,” Robredo said in a statement.

READ: VP wants PH trial for Chinese crew in sea collision

“Justice for the 22 Filipino fishermen requires that our courts assume jurisdiction,” she added. (Editor: Gilbert S. Gaviola)

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: accountability, China, Fishing boat, Hilbay, Reed Bank, West Philippine Sea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.