PNP backs Duterte’s decision to reconsider buying guns, equipment from US
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Tuesday said it is supporting the decision of President Rodrigo Duterte to reconsider the purchase of firearms from the United States again.
PNP spokesperson Col. Bernard Banac said in a press briefing that the change of heart expressed by the President will help widen the choices of the government on firearms to be procured for state forces.
“Mas maraming participants sa ating public bidding process, mas maganda po ang pagpipilian. Sumusuporta po tayo sa hakbang ng ating pamahalaan,” he said.
(The more the participants in public bidding process, the better the choices will be. We support this move of the government.)
Banac said that the PNP is also continuing to upgrade its equipment as part of its capability enhancement program.
In a televised interview on Sunday, Duterte said he will reconsider the procurement of weapons from the US because of its new policy and his fondness for U.S. President Donald Trump.
This was a retraction of his earlier statement in January, when he said the government will no longer purchase firearms from the U.S. after it threatened to impose sanctions on countries buying military equipment from China and Russia.
Legislators from the U.S. had earlier stopped the sale of assault rifles to the PNP fearing that it might be used in the government’s war against illegal drugs.
Duterte then said he would buy weapons from Russia and China but said he is also thinking of buying equipment from South Korea and Israel. (Editor: Mike U. Frialde)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.