DFA rejects UN call for independent probe of drug war killings
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) dismissed the call of experts from the United Nations for an independent probe into the killings in the drug war of the Duterte administration.
DFA noted that the investigation might fall into the hands of those who would spread disinformation and one-sided reports.
“We reject this call as it is being made in bad faith by parties who want to undermine domestic processes and spread disinformation, on the basis of one-sided reports coming from questionable sources,” the DFA said in a statement issued on Saturday.
This reaction came after 11 UN experts issued a joint statement urging an independent probe of the deaths in the drug war of the Duterte administration.
“By ignoring the accountability and other information provided by the Philippines in good faith, these parties show their bias and political agenda and assail the credibility and objectivity of the human rights mechanisms as constructive platforms of dialogue between the United Nations and the member states,” the DFA said.
According to Michelle Bachelet, the United Nations high commissioner for human rights, among the 27,000 cases of extrajudicial killings, only one case had been subjected to investigation and prosecution.
(Editor: Alexander T. Magno)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.