Duterte hints at Cabinet post for JV
TOKYO – President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday hinted that he is open to appointing outgoing Sen. Joseph Victor “JV” Ejercito to a Cabinet position.
Ejercito joined the President in his four-day working visit here and was present during the President’s meeting with the Filipino Community at the Palace Hotel.
“Ito siya nanghinayang ako kay JV. Pero — well anyway, you are still young. May Cabinet naman diyan kung magbakante,” Duterte said in his speech before 1,200 overseas Filipino workers here.
Ejercito had earlier said he was open to accepting a Cabinet post.
“If I can use my knowledge and I can contribute, then why not? Of course, I want the President to succeed because after all, his success will be our success,” he said.
Ejercito failed in his reelection bid as he placed 13th in the May 13 midterm elections with 14,313,727 votes.
READ: Final, official count: Villar 1st, Binay 12th in Senate race
Under the 1987 Constitution, losing candidates are barred from assuming positions in the government within a year after the elections. (Editor: Gilbert S. Gaviola)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.