Close  

Philippines mulls new ban on Kuwait deployment

/ 05:10 AM May 18, 2019

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said on Friday that the government might reimpose a deployment ban on Kuwait after a domestic worker was killed by her employer despite an existing commitment from the Gulf nation that it would better protect overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).

Household service worker Constancia Lago Dayag not only sustained various contusions and hematoma on her body but also had a cucumber stuffed inside her privates.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 47-year-old Dayag was rushed to the Al Sabah Hospital but was declared dead on arrival.

“I am taking the Kuwaiti government to task for the gruesome death of yet another Filipino worker in the hands of her employer in Kuwait,” Bello said.

FEATURED STORIES

In February last year, the Philippines imposed a total deployment ban on Kuwait after authorities found inside a freezer the body of domestic help Joanna Demafelis, who was killed by her employers.

The ban was lifted three months later after Manila and Kuwait signed an agreement on the protection of  OFWs.—JOVIC YEE

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bello, Constancia Lago Dayag, Dead, deployment, Kuwait, OFW, Philippines
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.