Embassy in Tripoli advises Filipinos in Libya to be vigilant, stay indoors
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine Embassy in Tripoli on Friday advised the Filipino community in Libya to be vigilant, stay indoors and avoid unnecessary movements.
The advisory was issued after Libyan authorities declared a state of emergency following the announcement of the Libyan National Army that its forces have started advancing towards Tripoli.
The Embassy said it has monitored some isolated clashes outside of Tripoli and troop movements in areas outside of the capital.
“In view of these developments, the Embassy advises the members of the Filipino community to heighten their vigilance and avoid any unnecessary movement,” the Embassy wrote on its Facebook post.
“Until such time that the situation has normalized, the Embassy would like our kababayan to stay indoors, avoid public gatherings, and to follow the instructions of their employers,” it added.
The Filipino community in Libya was also advised by the Embassy to stock up basic necessities such as food and water.
Those who wish to be repatriated should immediately make contact with the Embassy that arrangements could be made, the Embassy in Tripoli said.
In a separate statement, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said it is monitoring the situation in Libya following the developments.
It added that Chargé d’Affaires Elmer Cato of the Embassy in Tripoli reported that Filipinos so far have not been affected by the clashes.
The DFA said Cato is also in touch with the members of the Filipino community in Tripoli.
An estimated 1,000 Filipinos are working in Tripoli and in the western parts of Libya, the DFA said.
Filipinos who may need assistance can contact the Embassy at +218.91.824.4208, the DFA said. /muf
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.