Close  

DFA: No Filipino casualty in New Zealand shooting

By: - Reporter / @FMOrellanaINQ
/ 03:33 PM March 16, 2019
DFA: Initial report indicate no Filipino casualty in New Zealand shooting

Police officers cordon off the area close to the mosque after a gunman filming himself firing at worshippers inside in Christchurch on March 15, 2019. – A gunman opened fire inside the Masjid al Noor mosque during afternoon prayers, causing multiple fatalities. (Photo by Flynn FOLEY / AFP)

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Saturday that based on initial report on the mass shooting in New Zealand indicate that there is no Filipino included in the casualty list.

“According to the Philippine Embassy in Wellington, it has not received any information so far that would indicate that there were Filipinos among the victims in the Christchurch shootings,” the DFA said in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

At least 49 people died while at least 48 others were reportedly injured during the Mosque shooting that happened last Friday.

READ: New Zealand shootings seen as racist attack; 49 dead

FEATURED STORIES

The DFA earlier advised almost 5,000 members of the Filipino community living in Christchurch to remain indoors as the department continues to monitor the situation.

The Palace, on its part, condemned the attack and urged the public to be steadfast amid grief and outrage.

“The Philippines joins all peace-loving nations and peoples around the world in condemning, in the strongest and in no uncertain terms, this assault on the faithful in places of worship,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.

READ: Palace condemns New Zealand attack; condoles with victims’ families

New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern meanwhile vowed to toughen the country’s gun laws following the incident. /jpv

READ: New Zealand PM vows gun reforms after racist mosque massacre

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: attack, casualty, DFA, local news, New Zealand, Philippine news update
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.