With talks on COC, PH sees less conflict among claimants of disputed territories
Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana sees less possibilities of miscalculation and misunderstanding among claimant-countries in the South China Sea as the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) and China have agreed to start the talks on the Code of Conduct (COC) on the disputed waters.
“Ang benefit, benepisyo natin dyan is there will be no miscalculation, misunderstanding. Merong unlimited access ng ating mga fishermen, at saka at the same siguro, at the same time we are going to continue developing our… the islands under our control,” he told reporters Friday.
(Our benefit there is there will be no miscalculation, misunderstanding. There will be unlimited access for out fishermen, and the same time, maybe we are going to continue developing our… the island under our control.)
Leaders of the Asean member states and China have agreed to start talks on the Code of Conduct in the South China Sea during the Asean Summit hosted by the Philippines recently.
The sea dispute involves maritime and island claims among several states namely Philippines, China, Malaysia, Brunei, and Vietnam.
Lorenzana said he believes that China is sincere in pursuing the talks with the South China Sea claimants and the Asean.
“I believe they are sincere. The President also believes they are sincere and we are pursuing that….The tension has been decreased ever since na pumasok si President.. when he went to China, bumaba na yung tension saka maayos na ang West Philippine Sea,” he said.
(Ever since the President came into the picture… when he went to China, the tension decreased and there had been order in the West Philippine Sea.) /jpv
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.