PH, Japan exchange notes on Manila subway; MOUs with Russia signed
The Philippines and Japan have exchanged notes on the Manila subway project, which signals a step closer to the signing of the agreement.
Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano and Japanese Ambassador to the Philippines Kojie Haneda exchanged notes on Monday night after the bilateral meeting between President Rodrigo Duterte and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
Japan had earlier offered to loan to finance the project, which is projected to cost P358.25 billion.
Aside from the subway, the two countries also exchanged notes on the arterial bypass road along the Philippine-Japan Friendship Highway in Plaridel, Bulacan and on economic and social development program.
The exchange of notes usually comes before the actual signing of agreements where the details and financial aspect of the project is being finalized.
Russia, PH understanding
Aside from Japan, the Philippines and Russia have signed sets of memorandum of understanding (MOU) after the bilateral of Duterte and Russian Prime Minister Dimitry Medvedev on Monday night.
The MOU are:
- Treaty on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters
- Treaty on Extradition
- Memorandum of Understanding on Cooperation between the Department of Energy and the State Atomic Energy Corporation “Rosatom” of the Russian Federation
- Memorandum of Understanding on Cooperation in the Field of Mass Communications
- Memorandum of Understanding on the Development of Cooperation in Transport Education
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Commission on Higher Education of the Republic of the Philippines and the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines and the Federal Service for Intellectual Property of the Russian Federation
- Agreement on Cooperation between the Commission on Audit of the Republic of the Philippines and the Accounts Chamber of the Russian Federation
- Agreement of Cooperation and Partnership between Philippine company Vi Holding LLC and Russian company Global Ferronickel Holdings Inc. /je
Subscribe to our global nation newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.