Lawyer: Duterte’s language a big factor in ICC case | Inquirer Global Nation
Friday, August 17, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Lawyer: Duterte’s language a big factor in ICC case

/ 09:03 PM May 25, 2017

Lawyer and international negotiator Antonio “Tony” La Viña said one of the reasons why President Rodrigo Duterte might face an International Criminal Court (ICC) case was because of the way he speaks.

“They’ll (ICC will) take the Philippine case seriously,” La Viña said during an INQ&A interview over Radyo Inquirer 990AM on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Last month, Jude Sabio, lawyer of confessed Davao Death Squad member Edgar Matobato, filed a communication before the ICC against Duterte and his men for committing crimes against humanity.

La Viña, former dean of the Ateneo School of Government, pointed out that even before the filing of the request to probe, the ICC had already issued a warning to the Philippine government amid reports of human rights violations resulting from Duterte’s anti-illegal drug campaign.

The ICC’s chief prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda, said Philippine officials “seem to condone such killings.”

Bensouda especially mentioned how inciting or engaging acts of mass violence is “potentially liable to prosecution before the court.”

La Viña said this was “because of the language of the President…language that many people, many legal people do not find acceptable.”

He said the situation of the Philippines was at a top concern at the ICC because they were always seeing it in the news.

“The prosecutors will most likely act on it because there’s a demand,” he said.

La Viña mentioned how the President would call for the death of drug addicts.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It really does incite people to kill,” he said. “So as long as he talks like that there will be such concerns.”

Exhausting options

For his part, La Viña said it might be premature to ask the ICC to investigate the extrajudicial killings in the Philippines.

“I am actually against the case at this point. Because I feel that, as a lawyer, we have not done enough,” he said.

He explained that the ICC would only step in when a country’s legal system had already been maximized.

“I am not sure that we have completely maximized (the legal options),” he said.

But La Viña said it was not an absolute condition.

“Even if technically there are still options (and) in reality there are no more options (then they may file a communication),” he said.

He mentioned that many of the victims of alleged summary killings were poor and without access to lawyers unlike political prisoners during the martial law.

La Viña pointed out that the ICC was already monitoring the Philippines and a case could be filed even without Sabio.

Expedited process

La Viña said while the ICC process could last from months to years, the consideration of Jude Sabio’s communication “would be shorter than usual.”

“I think certainly the decision on whether they’ll do an investigation or not will come sooner rather than later, a year or so,” he said.

However, he believes that the actual trial might be after Duterte steps down from office.

The ICC could issue a warrant of arrest against Duterte but it would unlikely be served unless he would travel outside of the country “or his term ends and another president gives him up for trial,” La Viña said.

“My advice is (for Duterte and the other officials) to prepare for a case,” he said. “Prepare that there is going to be a preliminary investigation. And when it happens you cooperate.” /atm

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Antonio La Viña, EJKs, extrajudicial killings, ICC, International Criminal Court, Rodrigo Duterte, war on drugs
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
entertainment

Gary V, other celebs renew contracts with ABS-CBN

August 17, 2018 03:25 PM

newsinfo

Shabu’ worth P880,000 seized in Albay Gulf

August 17, 2018 03:22 PM

entertainment

Alex Gonzaga shows off ‘Gold Button’ from YouTube

August 17, 2018 03:16 PM



© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.