Andanar, Esperon to attend Trump’s presidential inauguration
Communications Secretary Martin Andanar and National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon Jr. will attend the inauguration of United States President-elect Donald Trump on January 20.
Andanar has said that President Rodrigo Duterte won’t attend Trump’s inauguration.
“Customarily, heads of state do not attend the inauguration of the President of America because this is purely a domestic affair,” he told reporters on the sidelines of the launching of the 2017 Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) Summit in Davao City.
The Palace official said he and Esperon would attend the inauguration but Charge D’ Affaires Patrick A. Chuasoto will officially represent the President.
“We will be performing our respective functions. We have side meetings too. The Charge D’ Affaires will officially represent PRRD (President Rodrigo Roa Duterte),” he said in a text message to reporters.
Andanar did not give details about their side meetings but said they would report to the President once they return to the country.
“We will report to the President the inauguration and our side meetings once we get back,” he said.
The relationship of the Philippines and United States had been strained after Duterte launched a series of verbal attacks against the US for interfering in his administration’s brutal war on drugs. He even threatened to sever ties with the country’s long-standing ally.
But after Trump’s win in November 2016, Duterte had a different tune, saying he could get along with the incoming President.
Duterte and Trump earlier had a phone conversation wherein the incoming US President invited Duterte to visit him in the White House.
Duterte also earlier invited Trump to attend the 2017 Asean Summit in Manila this year. RAM
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.