Close  
SOUTH CHINA SEA ROW

PH to ‘strictly adhere’ to UN arbitral ruling

/ 03:13 AM December 20, 2016

The Philippines will not “deviate from” an international tribunal ruling that rejected China’s claim to almost all of the South China Sea but it must build trust with China before discussing “sensitive” bilateral issues, Malacañang said on Monday.

Mr. Duterte said on Saturday that given the play of politics today, he would set aside the arbitral ruling on the Philippines’ case against China.

ADVERTISEMENT

He also boasted about China’s promised assistance to the Philippines after the US aid agency Millennium Challenge Corp. withheld funding for a second Philippine antipoverty program.

No deviation

“The President has said on numerous occasions that he will not deviate from the four corners of the ruling,” Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said on Monday.

FEATURED STORIES

The UN-backed Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague ruled in July that China’s claims to almost all of the South China Sea had no basis in international law and that it had violated the Philippines’ rights to fish and explore for resources in the waters within its 370-kilometer exclusive economic zone in the disputed waters.

Andanar said that since assuming office, Mr. Duterte had been working to strengthen the Philippines’ ties with China.

“His administration has been building confidence and trust with Chinese leaders and we expect this to continue, until such time that we achieve a trust level that will allow us to discuss the more sensitive issues in our bilateral relations,” he said.

Adhere to ruling

Andanar said the Philippines continued to respect the “milestone” ruling and would strictly adhere to it.

China has refused to recognize the tribunal’s decision.

Mr. Duterte has played down the arbitration ruling, saying it would “take a back seat” during his visit to China in October.

After Mr. Duterte’s visit to China, Filipino fishermen had been able to access the area around Panatag (Scarborough Shoal) without being harassed by the Chinese Coast Guard, which has blockaded the shoal since China seized it from the Philippines in 2012.

ADVERTISEMENT

Earlier on Monday, former Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said he was disturbed by the government’s setting aside of the tribunal ruling while unwinding military dealings with the United States.

“The foregoing declarations are most sadly being made after we had taken a firm rules-based position to defend what is ours—and won,” Del Rosario said in a statement. —WITH REPORTS FROM JOCELYN R. UY

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: arbitral ruling, China, Global Nation, Philippine news updates, South China Sea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.