No Filipino casualties in Italy quake, PH gov’t ready to help
There were no Filipinos hurt in the powerful 6.6 magnitude earthquake that shook central and southern Italy on Sunday according to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).
In a text message to INQUIRER.net, DFA spokesperson Charles Jose said that the Philippine Embassy in Rome has confirmed that there were no Filipino casualties in the most powerful quake to hit Italy for the past 36 years.
“The Embassy continues to closely monitor the situation to make sure that all Filipino nationals in the area are safe,” Jose said.
The quake was the third to hit Italy in two months, following jolts last week and a destructive one in August that killed about 300 people.
It toppled historic religious edifices and left about 3,000 people temporarily homeless. No fatalities were reported. IDL?/rga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.