Philippines rejects China talks not based on sea feud ruling | Global News

Philippines rejects China talks not based on sea feud ruling

/ 10:30 AM July 19, 2016

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines’ top diplomat says he has rejected a Chinese government offer to hold negotiations ‘outside of and in disregard’ of an international tribunal’s ruling last week that debunked Beijing’s claim to ownership of virtually the entire South China Sea.

READ: Beijing closes South China Sea area, launches war games

Foreign Secretary Perfecto Yasay Jr. said Tuesday he told his Chinese counterpart, Wang Yi, that China’s condition “was not consistent with our constitution and our national interest,” adding Wang warned that if the Philippines insists on China’s compliance to the decision, “we might be headed for a confrontation,” Yasay told ABS-CBN network in an interview after he talked with Wang on the sidelines of last weekend’s Asia-Europe meeting in Mongolia.

ADVERTISEMENT

Despite the seeming impasse, Yasay said he was still hopeful both countries can find a way to resolve the dispute.

READ: US, China Navy chiefs set for fresh talks on South China Sea

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For comprehensive coverage, in-depth analysis, and the latest updates on the West Philippine Sea issue, visit our special site here. Stay informed with articles, videos, and expert opinions.

TAGS: China, Perfecto Yasay Jr., Philippines, ruling, South China Sea, territorial dispute, West Philippine Sea

© Copyright 1997-2024 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.