Close  

EU gives $6M to fund 5 projects in Mindanao

/ 05:33 AM December 10, 2015

THE EUROPEAN Union announced yesterday that it was sharply boosting aid to the Philippines, largely to help sustain a peace process with Moro rebels in the south.

EU Ambassador Franz Jessen said the bloc was providing 5.5 million euros ($6 million) to five projects for the Muslim-dominated areas covered by the peace process even as the grouping more than doubled aid in general to the Philippines.

ADVERTISEMENT

His announcement came as a draft law to create a new Muslim self-rule area remained stalled in Congress despite lobbying by President Aquino.

Mr. Aquino had hoped to have the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) passed this year as a crucial step in ending decades of Muslim separatist violence that has claimed more than 100,000 lives since the 1970s.

FEATURED STORIES

“I want to reaffirm the importance the EU attaches to giving life to the [peace process] and to the development of the long-term political, economic and social pillars that will bring the peace dividend to the country as a whole,” Jessen told reporters.

To visit south

He said he would be visiting the southern Philippines to meet with key parties in the peace process including Moro separatist guerrilla leaders.

Jessen also said EU aid to the Philippines had been increased to 325 million euros in 2014 to 2020, more than double the amount released from 2007 to 2013, largely to help people in the impoverished south.

Although the Philippines is largely Christian, it has a significant Muslim minority who claim the southern region of Mindanao as their ancestral home.

The Muslim minority are among the poorest people in the strife-torn south, where economic development has been hampered by violence and criminality, often coming from Moro armed groups.

Jessen said achieving peace would attract European investment and improve living conditions in the south.

ADVERTISEMENT

Aware of risk

A Norwegian and an Italian are believed to be among the people being held hostage by the bandit group Abu Sayyaf in the south but Jessen said prospective investors were aware of the risk.

It is feared that if the law to create a Muslim self-rule area is not in place before President Aquino steps down next year, it may founder under his successor. AFP

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: EU, European Union, Franz Jessen, Mindanao, Moro rebels
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.