European Union donates P6.4-M humanitarian aid to ‘Lando’ victims
The European Union (EU) has donated €124,394 or equivalent to more than P6.4 million in humanitarian funding to assist the victims of typhoon Lando (international name: Koppu), which pummeled Central Luzon and dubbed the worst typhoon to hit the Philippines this year.
The EU said the funding, made possible by the European Commission’s Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection Department, will support the National Red Cross in extending relief assistance to affected populations, particularly food and emergency shelter items.
“The humanitarian aid will directly benefit 2,500 families (12,500 people) with immediate support with food, emergency shelter material such as tarpaulins, blankets and sleeping mats. The action will also provide safe drinking water, water containers, mosquito nets and hygiene items,” EU said in a statement.
The monetary donation was part of EU’s overall contribution to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies’ Disaster Relief Emergency Fund, which was established in 1985 for small-scale disasters.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Lando was the strongest typhoon to hit the country so far this year in terms of casualties and damage, displacing thousands of families and destroying agriculture and infrastructure.
NDRRMC said that as of Monday, the death toll had climbed to 47, with 83 injured and four still missing. Total damage, meanwhile, amounted to P9.8 billion. TVJ
Click here for more weather related news.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.