PNP probing gun in Cebu shooting
The Philippine National Police Internal Affairs Service (PNP-IAS) on Friday said it is looking into possible lapses or violations on the part of police officers in relation to the brazen killing of two Chinese consulate staff in a restaurant in downtown Cebu City on Thursday.
In a press briefing in Camp Crame on Friday, IAS legal affairs division acting chief Shella Ujano confirmed that the case is being investigated by her office but declined to divulge details on the angles being looked into for lack of authority to speak on the matter.
Meanwhile, Theodore Calavera, the Valenzuela resident identified as the registered owner of the “twin” of the gun used by the suspects in the attack, may be held liable for the unlicensed transfer of firearms.
Calavera’s Colt Defender handgun was the same model and had the same serial number as the gun used by the Chinese suspects.
The serial number was registered to Calavera, who told the police he had already sold his gun to a certain “Mago,” from whom the police was able to recover the “twin” pistol.
The police has yet to determine how a duplicate of Calavera’s gun made its way to the hands of the suspected Chinese couple. “Where that came from is part of the investigation of the Cebu police,” said PNP spokesperson Chief Supt. Wilben Mayor.
But Mayor said Calavera appeared to have violated the rules of the PNP Firearms and Explosives Office (FEO) when he sold his Colt handgun without securing a license.
“It appears there’s a violation in licensing [rules]. One, the license [for the gun] was already expired. Two, transferring a firearm [to a new owner] should be processed with the FEO,” Mayor said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.