Close  

Garbage from Canada buried; ‘case closed’

By: - Reporter / @TarraINQ
/ 06:30 AM July 11, 2015
TRASH packed in container vans that were shipped from Canada in 2013 are unloaded at the sanitary landfill of the Metro Clark Waste Management Corp. in Capas, Tarlac.  PHOTO COURTESY OF MCWMC

TRASH packed in container vans that were shipped from Canada in 2013 are unloaded at the sanitary landfill of the Metro Clark Waste Management Corp. in Capas, Tarlac. PHOTO COURTESY OF MCWMC

Filipinos are dumping the garbage, after all. Case closed.

Customs Commissioner Alberto Lina said on Friday the issue of illegal shipment of household waste from Canada was over, with the Bureau of Customs (BOC) now focusing on preventing a similar incident from happening again.

ADVERTISEMENT

This after 55 containers with waste from Canada, including adult diapers and household trash, that had been left at the Manila port since shipment two years ago were transported for dumping in a sanitary landfill in Capas, Tarlac province.

“We have no more problem. The issue is over. Case closed,” Lina told reporters.

FEATURED STORIES

He said the illegally imported garbage, which had triggered protests from environmental groups, was being dumped at Philippine government expense.

“It’s being dumped now at our expense just so there won’t be any issue,” Lina said.

The Canadian shipment was found between December 2013 and January 2014 at the Manila port, declared as “scrap plastic materials for recycling” but actually containing garbage, including adult diapers and other household wastes.

The Ontario-based Chronic Inc. shipped the containers to Manila through its Valenzuela-based consignee, Chronic Plastics. The BOC filed criminal charges against Chronic Plastics for violating the Revised Penal Code, the Tariff and Customs Code and the 1990 Toxic Waste Act.

It also called on Canada to take back the shipment under a 1995 convention on hazardous waste, which provides that “the exporting country must take back the waste materials if the receiving country refuses to accept them.”

Lina said the shipment had to be disposed of as the containers threatened to clog the port.

“We need containers. The reason why there’s port congestion is because of issues like these … If we’re not able to remove it from the pier, we will have congestion again. What do you want? Port congestion or to dump it? That’s why we dumped it,” Lina said.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said the BOC was focusing on measures to prevent similar incidents.

“We will design a way so that (shipments like this) would no longer be allowed to enter,” Lina said.

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Alberto Lina, Bureau of Customs, Canada, Capas, Garbage, Household Waste, Illegal Shipment, Tarlac
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.