Fil-Am celeb pulls out as Miss USA cohost over Trump’s racist rant
LOS ANGELES—Filipino-American celebrity Cheryl Burke has decided to pull out as cohost of the July 12 Miss USA pageant following event producer Donald Trump’s controversial comments about Mexican immigrants.
“In light of the recent statements made by Donald Trump and the subsequent decision by NBC to cut ties with Mr. Trump, I cannot in good conscience move forward with participating in this year’s Miss USA pageant as its cohost,” Burke said in a statement.
During his recent presidential announcement, Trump made controversial remarks about Mexican immigrants and US border policy.
“When Mexico sends its people, they’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us,” said the real estate mogul-turned-presidential candidate.
“They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people,” he said.
NBC, which was scheduled to broadcast the pageant, immediately announced it was cutting its ties with Trump, co-owner of the Miss USA pageant.
Burke, who rose to fame on the hit ABC show “Dancing With the Stars,” posted her statement on Facebook. Her mother Sherri Burke, who hails from Nueva Ecija, shared it on her Facebook page yesterday (Thursday in Manila).
“So proud of you honey. That’s my girl,” Sherri commented on her daughter’s statement.
“Cheryl, you are a beautiful woman inside and out. This shows the integrity you have, and the rest of us with the same values… are very proud of you! God bless our beautiful country and let’s stop with the racism already,” said Sandy Posada, Burke’s Facebook follower.
Throughout Burke’s 18 seasons on “Dancing With the Stars,” she had been paired with different male celebrities, including 98 Degrees band member Drew Lachey, comedian Drew Carey, football player Chad Ochocinco, basketball player Rick Fox and reality star Rob Kardashian.
She holds the record for most appearances in the “Dancing With the Stars” finale.