outbrain
Close  

BFAR defends release of Taiwanese fishermen

/ 07:15 PM June 04, 2015

THE Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources on Thursday defended its decision to release the Taiwanese fishermen caught in Batanes last week.

“It was a joint decision [with Philippine Coast Guard]  because they were all in one ship,” said BFAR regional director Jovita Ayson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Philippine and Taiwanese coast guard ships figured in a standoff last May 25 near Batanes. The Filipino vessel with PCG and BFAR personnel onboard tried to arrest Taiwanese fishermen believed to be fishing near Philippine waters. The Taiwanese coast guard blocked their path and demanded the release of the fishermen.

The Taiwanese fishermen were released after a four-hour standoff.

FEATURED STORIES

“They had a big boat compared to our patrol boat. And they blocked the path…It’s not a BFAR decision alone. It’s based on the circumstances,” Ayson said.

The Taiwanese vessel was 63.5 meters long while the Philippine ship was 33 meters.

The incident occurred amid efforts of both economies to work on their differences in their overlapping marine economic areas.

In 2013, a Philippine coastguard officer killed a Taiwanese fisherman near Batanes also believed to be fishing in Philippine waters. The incident sparked outrage in Taiwan.

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Batanes, Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources, Features, Global Nation, Taiwanese fishermen
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.