NJ teen crowned Spirit of June 12 as NY preps for parade
NEW YORK CITY — An 18-year-old stunner from Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey, was crowned 2015 Diwa Ng Kalayaan (Spirit of Independence) on April 11, at the Grand Ballroom of the Double Tree by Hilton, Newark, New Jersey.
Katherine Campbell, 2013 National American Miss New Jersey Teen winner, added another crown to her collection. The 5′4 beauty who has a million-dollar smile also won the Most Photogenic award.
Campbell will be a graduating from Hasbrouck Heights High School. She is a member of the National Honor Society, with the National H.S. Scholar Award, Girl Scouts Silver Award to her name and garnered other pageant titles i.e., National American Miss NJ Teen 2013; USA Ambassador NJ Teen 2014; Top 16th-Ms. Teen USA-NJ. Sports-minded and musically talented. Her goal is to Double Major in Nutrition and Business.
Outgoing queen Mikaela Alexa Rada, Consul General Mario Lopez De Leon Jr. and Mrs. Kalayaan 2014 Joji Rafael crowned Campbell while the scepter was presented by PIDCI President Fe Martinez assisted by Roland David.
Rianne Avendula-Philips (16) of New York, New York was crowned Miss Filipino-American, 1st Runner Up, and romped off with the Miss Congeniality and Miss Charity special awards.
The other young talented titleholders are:
Hiyas ng Pilipinas- Jasmine Binag- Nutley, New Jersey
Bituin ng Luzon- Joanna Lizardo- Allendale, New Jersey
Bituin ng Visayas- Anne Marie Lim- Jersey City, New Jersey
Bituin ng Mindanao- Andrea Hermoso- Bayonne, New Jersey
Masters of Ceremony for the evening were actor/choreographer Miguel Braganza II and Marvi Sanagustin, 2011 Diwa ng Kalayaan.
The Diwa ng Kalayaan winners who “personify the beauty, intelligence, and self-confidence of the young Filipino-Americans” will serve as Ambassadors of Goodwill for one year as they promote the commemoration of the annual Anniversary of the Declaration of Philippine Independence. They will be presented to the public riding a float at the Independence Parade and during the outdoor open-stage Cultural Festival to be held on Sunday, June 7..
Held yearly since 1990 on the first Sunday in June (this year on June 7), the Parade shares the day with a Street Fair, featuring a Filipino Food Festival, and the Cultural Festival presented on an open stage.
Since 1996, the annual commemoration is hailed by Filipinos everywhere as the largest celebration of the Philippine Independence outside of the Philippines.
Monica Castillo Meares (2009 Diwa Ng Kalayaan); Bituin Escarcha (voice coach); Ador Orca (personal trainer); Ricky Rillera (personal and professional development Certified Trainer); and Yiling Li (writer, producer, fashion designer, choreographer and former beauty queen, she is currently the President of UCT Int’l Culture Dev.,Inc).
All three events take place on Madison Avenue in midtown Manhattan, NY held from 38th Street down to 23rd Street. And for the annual culmination of the commemoration there’s the Philippine Independence Ball to be held on June 13, Saturday.
This year’s theme is “The Filipino: An Active Partner in Environmental and Climate Change Governance.”
The 2015 Parade Grand Marshal Reuben S. Seguritan, ESQ. (PIDCI Founding President 2002) who will lead the Parade along with the various Philippine and U.S. dignitaries invited spearheaded by our Consul General Mario de Leon, Jr. and PIDCI President Fe Martinez and the PIDCI Executive Officers and Board Members.
Other Pre-Celebratory Events include:
- April 25th (Saturday) – MRS. KALAYAAN (Mrs. Independence) PAGEANT
Coronation of candidates for professional women of Filipino descent in the Northeast, US
1:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Astoria World Manor, 25-22 Astoria Boulevard, Astoria, New York 11102-2940
– Chairpersons: Nonoy Rafael (516) 298-8428; Margie Wisotky (347) 661-5444
- May 9th (Saturday) – GRAND MARSHAL GALA
Honoring the 2015 Parade Grand Marshal: Reuben S. Seguritan, ESQ. (PIDCI Founding President 2002)
7:30 p.m. – 12:30 a.m.
Leonard’s Palazzo, 555 Northern Boulevard, Great Neck, New York 11021
– Chairpersons: Dr. Pros Lim (347) 248-5106; Angie Molina (718) 687-0976
PHILIPPINE INDEPENDENCE DAY CELEBRATION
The Philippine Independence Day Celebration in commemoration of the 117th Anniversary of the Declaration of Philippine Independence will be held on Sunday, June 7th 2015, on Madison Avenue, New York City: Scheduled activities include the following:
- 8:30 a.m. / 9:00 a.m.: FLAG CEREMONY AND INDEPENDENCE DAY MASS at the Philippine Center, 556 Fifth Avenue.
- 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.: STREET FAIR, 26th Street down to 24th Street and Madison Avenue.
– Contact Chairpersons: Tambi Wycoco (212) 477-9005; Gheng Pingol (917) 669-0505
- 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.: INDEPENDENCE DAY PARADE, 38th Street down to 27th Street and Madison Avenue.
– Contact Chairpersons: Nonoy Rafael (516) 298-8428; Ner Martinez (347) 837-5853
- 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.: CULTURAL FESTIVAL, 23rd Street and Madison Avenue
– Chairpersons: Elvira Reyes (551) 208-4986; Albert Diala (347) 260-8063; Vivian Velasco (917) 623-3827
And the culmination of the Independence Celebration –
- June 13th (Saturday) – GRAND INDEPENDENCE BALL
7:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.
Teaneck Marriott Ballroom at Glenpointe, 100 Frank W. Burr Boulevard, Teaneck, New Jersey 07666
– Chairperson: Ollie David (732) 499-7995
- PIDCI COMMUNITY MEETINGS –
at the Philippine Consulate, 556 5th Ave. b/w 45th-46th Streets, New York NY 10036
THURSDAYS, 7PM : 5/21/15; and 6/4/15
* For all Events – Please Contact the PIDCI President, Fe Martinez (973) 222-0085; email@example.com.
(Indiviual Pics Group Pics (submitted earlier) descriptions as follows:
- (L-R): Diwa ng Kalayaan 2015 Winners
Bituin ng Visayas-Anne Marie Lim; Hiyas ng Pilipinas-Jasmine Binag; Rianne Avendula-Philips Miss Filipino-American (1st Runner-Up); Katherine Campbell- Diwa Ng Kalayaan 2015;
Bituin ng Luzon- Joanna Lizardo; Bituin ng Mindanao- Andrea Hermoso.
- (L-R): Diwa ng Kalayaan 2015 Winners (same as above), with PIDCI 2015 President Fe Martinez
- (L-R): Kalayaan 2014 Joji Rafael; Katherine Campbell- Diwa Ng Kalayaan 2015
outgoing Diwa Ng Kalayaan 2014-Mikaela Alexa Rada; Consul General Mario Lopez De Leon Jr.
4) Diwa Ng Kalayaan and the Court 2015; with PIDCI board members, committees, Mrs Kalayaan 2014 and the Court; with Grand Marshal 2015 Reuben S. Seguritan and Grand Marshals 2014 Drs. Boy and Fely Quines.
Like us on Facebook