Palace: Philippines remembers horror of 9/11
MANILA, Philippines—The Philippines remembers the horrors of the 9/11 attacks in the United States a decade ago but sees no need to raise the security alert among the country’s law enforcement agencies to counter terrorist activities that may be launched on the anniversary of the infamous events on Sunday.
Deputy Malacañang spokesperson Abigail Valte made the statement even as the US issued an advisory to Americans in different parts of the world to be wary of terrorist threats related to the anniversary of the al Qaeda attacks in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania on September 11, 2001.
“A decade after the terror attacks on New York City and Washington, DC, the world pauses in solemn remembrance of the grievous losses in lives on that day. We, the Filipino people, join the world in commemorating the heroism demonstrated in so many ways on that day,” Valte said over the government-run radio station dzRB.
“Most of all, this is a day for all nations and people to reaffirm their commitment to peace and stability based on mutual respect and dialog between cultures and religion,” Valte added.
Valte said the police and the military long tightened the security measures and there was no need for additional ones.
“In light of the travel advisory issued by the United States, we have taken note of it. While we are not upgrading our security alert for the PNP, we are closely watching and monitoring any development,” Valte said .
Valte said the PNP is on normal alert except for certain areas in Mindanao.
“We’ve yet to monitor specific threats from known groups or personalities with links to local or foreign terrorists. But again, our PNP, they will remain vigilant and watchful of any development that may affect peace and order,” Valte said.
The US late last week issued a travel advisory for its citizens abroad as it observes the anniversary of the terror attacks in New York and Washington.
“While we have not identified any specific threats from al-Qaeda affiliates and allies to attack the United States or our interests on the 9/11 anniversary, US citizens should be aware that al-Qaeda affiliates and allies have demonstrated the intent and capability to carry out attacks against the United States and our interests around the world,” the US State Department said.