Gov't confirms Chinese vessel drove away PH fishermen from Panatag Shoal | Global News

Gov’t confirms Chinese vessel drove away PH fishermen from Panatag Shoal

/ 07:03 PM April 20, 2015

Malacañang on Monday afternoon confirmed that the Chinese coast guard drove away Filipino fishermen from Panatag Shoal (Scarborough Shoal or Bajo de Masinloc) earlier in the month.

“The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) has verified and confirmed the reported incident involving fishermen in Bajo de Masinloc,” Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, he said they have yet to verify the number of fishermen involved.

Coloma said the PCG has submitted its report to the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Department of National Defense.

FEATURED STORIES

The Philippine Daily Inquirer on Monday reported that a Chinese coast guard vessel drove away around 80 Filipino fishermen from the shoal using a water cannon. One fisherman was reportedly hurt after he fell off a boat.

READ: Chinese shoo away Filipino fishermen’s boats

Coloma earlier said the government is working hard to upgrade the equipment and facilities of the Philippine Navy and the Coast Guard to allow them to better monitor the Philippine coastline and to protect Filipino fishermen.

Despite such reports, Coloma said the government will continue to pursue its rules-based approach on the territorial disputes with China in the West Philippine Sea.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Panatag Shoal
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.