All-Filipino crew in sinking ship
MANILA, Philippines—The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Saturday said the Philippine embassy in Hanoi was seeking more information about the sinking of a cargo ship manned by an all-Filipino crew that sank off Vietnam.
The ship, the Bulk Jupiter, was carrying iron ore from China to Malaysia with 19 Filipino crew on board, according to Vietnamese news website Toui Tre News.
The 56,000-ton Bahamian-flagged vessel sank at 9:41 p.m. 150 nautical miles from Vietnam’s southern city of Vung Tau, the news site said.
As of Saturday, one crew member had been rescued, while two bodies were recovered. The rest of the crew were missing, according to the reports.
“Our embassy in Hanoi is coordinating with the Vietnamese authorities to get confirmation and more details about the reported sinking of the cargo ship Bulk Jupiter,” Charles Jose, DFA assistant secretary and spokesperson, said in a text message to reporters.
“As always, we stand ready to extend all necessary and appropriate assistance to the ship’s Filipino crew members and their families,” he added.
A statement from the vessel’s owner Gearbulk, an international shipping company, said the search and rescue operation led by the Singapore Maritime Rescue Coordination Center was being stepped up. Niña P. Calleja
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.