outbrain
Close  

Chinese, Filipino kidnapped in Malaysia rescued

/ 01:13 AM May 31, 2014

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — A Chinese tourist and a Filipino worker have been rescued nearly two months after they were abducted from a resort off Borneo island, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said Friday.

Najib credited their release to cooperation between Malaysian and Philippine security forces, and said no ransom was paid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Malaysian officials earlier said the kidnappers had demanded a ransom of 500 million pesos ($11.4 million) for the Chinese hostage.

Gunmen, believed to be Philippine Abu Sayyaf militants, kidnapped the 28-year-old Shanghai woman and the 40-year-old Filipino woman from the Singamata Reef Resort in the eastern Malaysian state of Sabah on April 2. They were believed to have been taken to the southern Philippines.

FEATURED STORIES

“No ransom paid to secure their release. Success due to cooperation of Malaysia and Philippines security forces. I thank all involved,” Najib tweeted. He said authorities were working to return the Chinese woman to her home country as soon as possible.

Najib didn’t give further details and officials couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.

There has been a spate of kidnappings in recent months off Sabah, a popular tourist destination and dive spot that is just a short boat ride from the southern Philippines, home to Muslim militants and kidnap gangs.

Last month, a Chinese fish farm manager in Sabah was kidnapped and was also believed to have been taken to the southern Philippines.

In November, suspected Abu Sayyaf militants killed a Taiwanese tourist and kidnapped his wife from another Sabah resort. The woman was released a month later in the southern Philippines. Authorities didn’t say whether a ransom was paid.

The Sabah government announced measures last month to tighten security, including a curfew and travel restrictions in high-risk areas.

The Abu Sayyaf had links to international terrorist networks, including al-Qaida, but a U.S.-backed Philippine military crackdown has weakened it considerably in recent years. The group has an estimated 300 fighters and now focuses on ransom kidnappings more than global jihad.

ADVERTISEMENT

RELATED STORIES

Abu Sayyaf kidnappers telephone Chinese victim’s family

 

Abu Sayyaf men abduct 2 in Malaysia–officials

 

2 Malaysia kidnap victims now in Philippine jungle

 

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Abu Sayyaf, Borneo Island, Chinese, Chinese tourist, Filipino, overseas Filipino worker, Prime Minister Najib Razak
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.