The family of a freed Australian hostage expressed hope on Monday that his kidnappers, including Abu Sayyaf bandits and rogue elements of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) who kept him in jungle captivity for 15 months, would be captured and punished so such ordeals would not be repeated.
Foreign Minister Bob Carr on Thursday welcomed news that Australian Warren Richard Rodwell was alive after being held hostage by Abu Sayyaf bandits for more than a year in the Philippines, but said his prolonged captivity was a “major concern.”
A former Australian soldier kidnapped last month in Mindanao is seen pleading for his life in a video sent to his family and urging the Philippines and Australia to raise a $2-million ransom being demanded by his captors.
Suspected Muslim militants have demanded ransom for the freedom of a kidnapped Australian and have sent proof that he is alive, Philippine police said Sunday.
ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines—The Filipino wife of kidnapped Australian national Warren Richard Rodwell has complained of being kept in the dark in negotiations for the release of her husband. Miraflor Gutang, 27, said she was getting desperate because her husband’s captors had not contacted her since he was snatched from their home in Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay, [...]