By Lourdes Santos Tancinco
One who has traveled to the United States as a visitor is familiar with the “white” card. This is the Form I-94 submitted upon entry to the United States. What actually is the importance of this card to a traveler? And what major changes is the Department of Homeland Security implementing with regards to the use of this card?
By Redempto Anda
Defense officials on Tuesday asked the United States to submit its salvage plan for the grounded USS Guardian for approval before undertaking a delicate salvage operation that would involve hoisting the stricken vessel onto a barge.
By Christine O. Avendaño
The US Embassy on Monday said the US Navy had removed all potential environmental hazards, including 15,000 gallons of diesel fuel, from the ship USS Guardian which ran aground on the Tubbataha Reefs on Jan. 17.
By Frances Mangosing
The United States-made drone recovered off Ticao Island in Masbate on Sunday morning was launched during a week-long US-only exercise in September, the US Embassy in Manila said Tuesday.
By Fat Reyes
, Frances Mangosing
The United States (US)-made unmanned aerial vehicle recovered in Philippine waters early Sunday morning is of the type that is “not armed and not used for surveillance,” the country’s embassy in Manila said Monday.
With the Anikow murder trial headed for a holiday break, the US Embassy in Manila on Friday reiterated its calls for justice—this time with a more strongly-worded condemnation of the November 24 killing.
By Fat Reyes
The United States Embassy in Manila announced Tuesday that its offices would be closed on Friday in observance of Bonifacio Day.
The US Embassy in Manila and its affiliated offices will be closed to the public on Thursday, November 22, in observance of Thanksgiving Day, an American holiday.
By Fat Reyes
The United States (US) embassy in Manila announced on Friday that its offices would be closed on Monday, November 12, in observance of Veterans’ Day.
A United States (US) submarine will dock in Subic bay for a routine port call Thursday, the US embassy in Subic said in an announcement.
By Tarra Quismundo
MANILA, Philippines—More Western nations called on their citizens to be cautious in Metro Manila on Saturday following a US embassy warning a day earlier of an unspecified threat against Americans.
The warnings issued by the British, Canadian and Australian governments called on their citizens to be cautious amid fears they could get caught up in an attempted attack against Americans.
“Any attack could be indiscriminate and we advise British nationals to exercise particular caution and extra vigilance in places frequented by expatriates and foreign nationals,” the British foreign office alert said.
The Canadian foreign affairs office said “continuing reports suggest that there is an ongoing terrorist threat to Westerners and Western interests in the Philippines”.
On Friday, the US embassy warned that a threat against Americans in the capital had been detected by “reliable security forces”.
“This threat remains in effect until October 10, 2012,” the advisory said.
The US embassy would not elaborate on the danger.
Asked about the advisories, Philippine military spokesman Colonel Arnulfo Burgos said “as far as the armed forces are concerned, we have not monitored any specific threat”.
However he said the military would continue to work with the police and other agencies to boost security.
The country’s national police force was not available for comment.
The US government issued an alert in November 2010 that warned of an attack in Manila, particularly areas frequented by foreigners, which also prompted similar travel advisories from Britain, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and France.
The attack never materialized and President Benigno Aquino subsequently criticized the United States and other Western allies for damaging his country’s tourism prospects.
The United States has a general warning about the risks of travel in the Philippines, a former US colony that has for decades battled Islamic separatist rebels and more hardline Muslim militants in the far south of the country.
The Abu Sayyaf, a small band of Muslim militants that authorities say was set up in the early 1990s with funds from the Al-Qaeda network, has kidnapped and killed Americans in the southern Mindanao region in recent years.
About 600 US troops have been rotating through the southern Philippines for a decade to help train local troops in hunting the Abu Sayyaf. However the Americans are barred from taking part in combat.