Talks underway to remove blocks put by China in Panatag Shoal—Navy chief

A+
A
A-

MANILA, Philippines – Talks are underway to remove the concrete blocks allegedly put up by China in Panatag Shoal (Scarborough), an area off Zambales province and which is within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone.

“Yes, as of now that’s being discussed as to how to, but I do not like to preempt what will (be) the decision,” Navy chief Vice Admiral Jose Luis Alano told reporters on the sidelines of the Asean Navy Chiefs Meeting in Makati City on Tuesday.

He did not elaborate further so as to not preempt the discussions being made.

Last week, the Philippines accused China of building new fortifications in Panatag Shoal, an area located 124 nautical miles off Zambales.

Seventy-five concrete blocks, believed to have been put up by China, were spotted in the Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal off Zambales based on a military reconnaissance report made last Monday. The blocks could be “a prelude to construction,” Defense spokesman Peter Paul Galvez said. File photo courtesy of Department of National Defense

Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said that the concrete blocks sighted could be a prelude to construction.

Latest military reports showed that there were 75 concrete blocks allegedly put up by the Chinese.

Panatag Shoal, known to China as Huangyan Island, was a site of maritime standoff between China and Philippines that lasted for two months last year. Chinese presence continues in the area with its surveillance and fishing vessels.

In 1995, structures built by China were sighted in the Mischief Reef, an area near Ayungin also within the Philippine exclusive economic zone, where Chinese put up a military garrison.

These were reportedly built initially to provide shelter for fishermen, but were later transformed into a military garrison.

The Philippines had sought for arbitration under the United Nations Conventions on the Law of the Sea to pursue its claims in the West Philippine Sea. It filed a diplomatic protest as Chinese ships continued to come and go into the resource-rich areas of Panatag and Ayungin Shoal (Second Thomas Shoal), which were both within the country’s 200-nautical mile EEZ.

China claims nearly the entire sea and had been showcasing its aggressive behavior there, but the Philippines and other neighboring countries claim parts within their EEZ.

Related stories:

Navy aerial survey shows 75 concrete blocks dotting Panatag Shoal

West Philippine Sea

Inquirer Viber

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

  • hello stupids

    75 block at the sizes of 2×2 feet this is the official report
    can anybody tell anything wrong there?
    1 this is a 3 dimension object so it should be 2×2 x?

    2 do they know every where using metric scale now
    hahahahahaha

  • OrchidInWilderness

    Put cement shoes on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla, Marcos, Honasan, Lapid, Sotto and the rest of lawmakers implicated in the pork barrel scam and then dump them in Panatag shoal.

    They think and act worse than the Mafia crime syndicate, so out of respect for them, why not treat them the Mafia way.

    • hello stupids

      please don’t posion the area we don’t need any fishlord there

  • hello stupids

    Talks underway to remove blocks put by China in Panatag Shoal—Navy chief

    with the Chinese?

  • hello stupids

    Talks underway to remove blocks put by China in Panatag Shoal—Navy chief

    talks will not remove blocks at all
    hahahahaha

    • crazy_horse_101010

      hawhawhaw the commie toad tries to speeekeee chinklish ddkejguvc?eotkvkkd drkkkvg89 ro

  • Olibo

    Why not use the blocks as bases or footings for concrete statues of pork-scammers?

  • lex

    SHAMEFUL naman NAVY CHIEF na to! Talk pa lang pala bat mo ipinagkalat na. Ipag – ingay mo na lang sa buong mundo kapag INALIS nyo na para Poging pogi ang dating.

  • hello stupids

    The panel last month instructed the Philippines to file a comprehensive
    petition detailing its case against China by March 2014. The arbitration
    case aims to nullify China’s nine-dash line claim over the waters

    what is that mean to U? what about the shoal ,the blocks ?
    U don’t have the case yet….. Ur claim was rejected.

    loser………hahaha

    • zdrx

      if it was rejected why was there an instruction and a deadline? you can dream on. LOL

      • hello stupids

        that is the normal procedure for any claim .U need to provide solid evident or case dismiss .and U can not use the same reason again

        do U think Philippines can provide any more new evident they have the administration or occupied before the Chinese
        the answer is no

        this is more or less given U another chance like appeal

      • zdrx

        see? you said our intent was to nullify 9 dash line…then you said our claim was rejected…now you said provide a more solid evidence that we practiced jurisdiction over scarborough. this is an easy case to win by us…as we have plenty of proofs and evidences. the chinese already lost by default…so i leave it all to our representatives to face the tribunal.

        you seems confused…and only shows your stupidity. i already made my point…i have to discontinue this argument. bye mr ancient.

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:

c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94

editors' picks

advertisement

popular

advertisement

videos