Quantcast
Latest Stories

Hong Kong hostage relatives sue PH government


In this file photo taken on August 23, 2010, Philippine policemen take position as they start their attack on a hijacked tourist bus in Manila. AFP FILE PHOTO

HONG KONG — Hong Kong survivors of a Manila hostage crisis and families of those killed sued the Philippine government Thursday to demand an apology and compensation, a day before the tragedy’s third anniversary.

The group took the case to a local court after accusing Manila of failing to respond to their demands over the 2010 drama, which cost the lives of eight tourists following a bungled rescue operation.

“Until now, there is no positive response to our demands regarding the tragedy,” said Tse Chi-hang, brother of tour guide Masa Tse.

The guide was among those killed when a sacked Philippine policeman seized a bus packed with tourists in a desperate bid to be reinstated in his job.

“It is painful, when you see there is no progress at all, and there is no sign from the Philippine government on taking responsibility,” Tse told AFP.

The Philippine government and then-Manila mayor Alfredo Lim are among nine parties being sued, Tse said, adding that they are also seeking “reasonable” compensation.

Philippine Justice Secretary Leila de Lima was quoted as saying last year that the government was not bound by the rulings of Hong Kong courts.

After lengthy negotiations, police mounted an assault on the bus. The hostage-taker and eight tourists were killed and seven others were wounded in an incident broadcast live on television around the world.

The apparent incompetence of the police who mounted the assault outraged the residents of Hong Kong, a city with low crime rates. Local politicians accused the Hong Kong government and Beijing of failing to press the demands of the victims.

The Hong Kong government has maintained a warning against travel to the Philippines following the incident.

Joseph Estrada, a former Philippine president and the current mayor of Manila, apologized this week for the tragedy but this was rejected by relatives of victims and survivors.

President Benigno Aquino has expressed regret and admitted the crisis should have been handled better, but refused to apologize when the victims’ families travelled to the scene of the incident in Manila in 2011.

However Aquino apologized in May for the killing by his country’s coastguard of a Taiwanese fisherman.


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Diplomacy , Global Nation , Hong Kong , Manila Hostage Drama , Philippines



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • Napoles tags over 100 officials in pork scam – Lacson
  • Vitangcol to sue Czech envoy
  • Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  • 43 out of 414 Etihad passengers yet to be found, tested for MERS-CoV – Palace
  • Maid confesses in killing of 2 and stabbing of employer in Laguna
  • Sports

  • Caguioa blasts ‘no heart, soft’ Ginebra on Twitter
  • San Mig Coffee grinds out win over Alaska to force decider
  • UP nips St. Benilde; Adamson blasts RTU in Filoil women’s caging
  • Kevin Garnett responds to Raptors’ GM F word
  • Albert Pujols hits 500th HR of major league career
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Bollywood Oscars, film stars come to Florida
  • Ex-Fox exec denies allegations in sex abuse suit
  • Kris Aquino backtracks, says Herbert Bautista and her are ‘best friends’
  • Summer preview: Chris Pratt enters a new ‘Galaxy’
  • Bon Jovi helps open low-income housing in US
  • Business

  • SM to rebuild Tacloban hospital
  • PSEi slips after 4-day rally
  • Toyota sells 2.58 million vehicles, outselling GM
  • McDonald’s 1Q profit slips as US sales decline
  • SEC approves SM’s P15B retail bond offer
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • One-dimensional diplomacy: A cost-benefit analysis of Manila’s security deal with Washington
  • No ordinary illness
  • Reforest mountains with fire trees and their kind
  • Day of the Earth
  • When will Chinese firm deliver new coaches?
  • Global Nation

  • Filipinos coming home from Mideast must obtain MERS clearance – DOH
  • US Secret Service in Manila ahead of Obama visit
  • Palace thanks Estrada for successful HK mission
  • Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
  • China won’t budge, wants PH gov’t to apologize to HK
  • Marketplace