Quantcast
Latest Stories

Taiwan open to OFWs again

By

Taiwanese investigators rides a rubber boat as they inspect a ship involved in the alleged shooting of a Taiwanese fisherman while they continue their probe in Manila on Tuesday, May 28, 2013. The daughter of the Taiwanese fisherman allegedly killed by Filipino coast guards filed murder charges during joint proceedings held by Taiwanese and Philippine prosecutors in Pingtung County on Tuesday. AP PHOTO/AARON FAVILA

MANILA, Philippines—Filipino workers are again packing their bags for Taiwan, a sign that relations between Manila and Taipei are returning to normal after a three-month diplomatic row.

Taiwan on Thursday lifted a ban on Filipino workers and other retaliatory sanctions against the Philippines after Manila formally apologized for the fatal shooting on May 9 of a Taiwanese fisherman.

Malacañang also finally released a report of the National Bureau of Investigation that recommended the filing of homicide charges against eight Philippine Coast Guard personnel involved in the shooting.

“The government of the Republic of China (Taiwan’s official title) announces that the sanction against the Philippines is removed immediately after the Filipino side has displayed apology and goodwill in written statements and action,” the foreign ministry said in a statement.

The announcement came after Amadeo R. Perez, chair of the Manila Economic and Cultural Office (Meco) which handles relations in the absence of diplomatic ties, flew to Taiwan and offered an “official apology” on behalf of President Benigno Aquino III.

Tensions had risen sharply after a 65-year-old fisherman was shot dead by Filipino coast guards on May 9 in waters near an island in the Philippines’ extreme north, which Taiwan also claims as part of its economic zone.

Perez then traveled to the small southern port town of Hsiaoliuchiu to meet the family of the dead man, Hung Shih-chen. In televised comments, Perez said he wished to convey “the Philippine people’s deep regret and apology to the family of Mr. Hung Shih-chen over this unfortunate loss of life of their beloved one.”

“May I respectfully present our official letter of apology to the family of Mr. Hung on behalf of our President and our people,” he told Hung’s widow, before giving her the letter and shaking her hands.

Taiwan’s foreign ministry said the Hung family and the Filipino government had reached a settlement on compensation, without specifying its content.

Taiwan said Manila had also agreed to hold further talks on a proposed fisheries agreement as part of their efforts to avoid another such tragedy while handling disputes.

Taiwan had rejected earlier apologies by Manila as inadequate and imposed a series of sanctions, including a ban on hiring new Filipino workers, an advisory urging Taiwanese not to visit the Philippines, and the suspension of trade and academic exchanges.

But diplomatic tensions eased after Philippine authorities said on Wednesday they had recommended homicide charges against eight Filipino coast guards for Hung’s death.

Perez had previously visited Taiwan in May as a “personal representative” of President Aquino, but his apology was rejected by the Taipei government because he had described Hung’s death as “unintended.”

The killing caused outrage and protests in Taiwan, with President Ma Ying-jeou describing it as “cold-blooded murder” as Taipei responded with the sanctions and with navy drills.

After a three-month standoff, Thursday’s announcement on the lifting of the ban on Filipino workers was a clear sign of the normalizing relations between the two countries, said an official of the Meco.

“We have heard that some workers waiting in Manila have been advised to prepare to be deployed (in Taiwan),” Meco resident representative Antonio Basilio said in a text message from Taipei.

Basilio, who was part of the Meco delegation that flew to Taipei to deliver the apology to Hung’s family, said they also received a report that Taiwan’s Council of Labor Affairs has begun processing work permits for Filipinos.

Meco could not say how many Filipino workers were replaced by workers from other countries after the May 15 ban, but estimated that at least 3,000 contracts a month were frozen since then.

Had the crisis lasted longer, Taiwanese employers would have been forced to recruit workers from other countries, Meco officials said.

“They are quite relieved,” Basilio said of the Meco staff. He said Perez has informed President Aquino about the results of their visit in Taipei. With a report from AFP

Related Stories:

Taiwan issues travel alert vs PH despite Aquino apology

OFWs can still find jobs in PH if Taiwan’s freeze hiring is enforced

PH to look for other markets for OFWs in wake of Taiwan freeze-hire threat


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Filipino workers , homicide charges , National Bureau of Investigation , ofws , Overseas Filipino workers , Philippine Coast Guard , Taipei , Taiwan



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • Napoles tags over 100 officials in pork scam – Lacson
  • Vitangcol to sue Czech envoy
  • Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  • 43 out of 414 Etihad passengers yet to be found, tested for MERS-CoV – Palace
  • Sandigan junks Marcos family claim to Paoay property
  • Sports

  • Rain or Shine holds off Meralco, forces Game 3
  • Power Pinays yield to Japan in Asian Women’s Club volleyball
  • Caguioa blasts ‘no heart, soft’ Ginebra on Twitter
  • San Mig Coffee grinds out win over Alaska to force decider
  • UP nips St. Benilde; Adamson blasts RTU in Filoil women’s caging
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Bollywood Oscars, film stars come to Florida
  • Ex-Fox exec denies allegations in sex abuse suit
  • Kris Aquino backtracks, says Herbert Bautista and her are ‘best friends’
  • Summer preview: Chris Pratt enters a new ‘Galaxy’
  • Bon Jovi helps open low-income housing in US
  • Business

  • SM to rebuild Tacloban hospital
  • PSEi slips after 4-day rally
  • Toyota sells 2.58 million vehicles, outselling GM
  • McDonald’s 1Q profit slips as US sales decline
  • SEC approves SM’s P15B retail bond offer
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • One-dimensional diplomacy: A cost-benefit analysis of Manila’s security deal with Washington
  • No ordinary illness
  • Reforest mountains with fire trees and their kind
  • Day of the Earth
  • When will Chinese firm deliver new coaches?
  • Global Nation

  • 19 Ukrainians, Russians, Filipinas rescued in bar raid
  • Filipinos coming home from Mideast must obtain MERS clearance – DOH
  • US Secret Service in Manila ahead of Obama visit
  • Palace thanks Estrada for successful HK mission
  • Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
  • Marketplace