Quantcast
Latest Stories

Be patient, Binay tells kin of pardoned Filipino in Saudi

By

Vice President Jejomar Binay. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines—Vice President Jejomar Binay on Friday told the family of pardoned death convict Rodelio “Dondon” Lanuza to be patient, saying he would  be freed by Saudi Arabian authorities “once the process for his release has been observed.”

Binay, in a statement, said the important thing was that he has been spared the death penalty.

It has been six months since the Saudi king, in a surprise act of charity, donated 2.3 million riyals needed to complete the 3-million-riyal blood money demanded by the family of the man Lanuza had killed. It reportedly took several months for the government to forward its own donation-pledge to Lanuza’s cause.

Apparently responding to criticism that the slow response of the Philippine government was what was holding up Lanuza’s release, the Vice President cited the case of another Filipino who was pardoned ahead of Lanuza but who is still awaiting the completion of the release process.

Respecting the process

“I understand how Dondon and his family feel. I am asking for patience. There is a process that we need to observe. The embassy has been consistently following up his papers but we need to respect their process,” Binay said.

The Vice President said Philippine Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Ezzedin Tago informed him that the Saudi Reconciliation Committee already notified the victim’s family to send a representative to sign the printed copy of the judgment.

The printed copy has an updated notation that the family has accepted the blood money and is no longer pursuing its earlier demand for Lanuza’s beheading.

Binay also dispelled insinuations that the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh was not exerting efforts to help fast track Lanuza’s release.

“Early this month, our embassy officials met Director Ahmad Al Tuwaijri of the Emir’s office in Dammam to inform him that there was already a court decision regarding the tanazul (affidavit of forgiveness) executed by the heirs of the victim in favor of Lanuza,” Binay said.

Long process

Tuwaijri informed the embassy officials that his office had already received a copy of the settlement of the case, Binay added.

Binay added that after the tanazul was signed, Lanuza’s family would have to wait for the affirmation of the settlement by the Saudi appellate court. After that, Lanuza’s case will be sent by the court to the Emir’s office, or the office of Prince Khalid bin Bandar al Saud, governor of Riyadh Province.

The Emir’s office will then issue an order on the settlement of the case and Lanuza’s file will be sent to the interior ministry for clearance.

Upon the issuance of a clearance by the ministry, the Emir’s office will direct the concerned police authorities including jail authorities to begin deportation procedures.

Lanuza claimed he had killed the Saudi man in self-defense. Saudi’s highest court, however, affirmed his death penalty in 2001. He was later forgiven by the family in exchange for blood money of 3 million riyals (about P33 million).

The Philippine government together with private individuals and nongovernment organizations raised 700,000 riyals (P7.6 million) for Lanuza’s blood money.


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Binay , Death Convict , Death Penalty , Ezzedin Tago , Jejomar Binay , Rodelio “Dondon” Lanuza , Saudi Arabia



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • Palace prepared to charge its allies
  • 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  • PNP chief on plunder raps: ‘Amateurish’
  • Makati readies 12-month traffic plan for Skyway 3
  • Heard on Radyo Inquirer 990AM
  • Sports

  • Mixers trim Aces, force do-or-die tiff
  • Donaire junks Garcia as coach, taps father
  • ’Bye Ginebra: No heavy heart this time
  • UAAP board tackles new rules
  • Baguio climb to decide Le Tour de Filipinas
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • In love … with acting
  • From prison to the peak of success
  • ‘Asedillo’ location thrives
  • Business

  • PH banks not ready for Asean integration
  • Stocks down on profit-taking
  • Banks allowed to use ‘cloud’
  • SMIC to issue P15-B bonds
  • Honda upgrades PH plant
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • 19 Ukrainians, Russians, Filipinas rescued in bar raid
  • Filipinos coming home from Mideast must obtain MERS clearance – DOH
  • US Secret Service in Manila ahead of Obama visit
  • Palace thanks Estrada for successful HK mission
  • Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
  • Marketplace