Quantcast
Latest Stories

687 OFWs in Sabah face arrest, deportation; ask DFA to release passports

By

PASSPORT DELAY. Juvy Ranjit, the managing director of an employment agency in Sabah, files a letter of appeal at the DFA Friday asking to have the passports of 687 Filipino workers released. She said the workers missed the Malaysian government’s amnesty program that expired November last year because of the delay and they are now facing possible arrest and deportation. Matikas Santos/INQUIRER.net

MANILA, Philippines – A total of 687 Filipino workers in Sabah, Malaysia, could face arrest and deportation because of a delay in the release of their passports from the Philippine Embassy there.

Juvy Ranjit, managing director of Pinoy Resources, an employment agency in Kota Kinabalu, flew to Manila from Malaysia and personally went to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Friday to submit a letter of appeal for their workers’ passports.

“We don’t know what’s happening [with the] passports and it causes so much agony on our business as well as losses of income,” she told reporters in an interview.

Ranjit said she came to Manila as the coordinator of an association of employment agencies with 100 member agencies in Malaysia.

She said that the workers were blaming the employment agencies for their failure to give the passports. They are mostly working in the many palm oil plantations in Lahad Datu but many have already been
terminated by the plantation owners for fear of being imposed fines by Malaysian authorities, she added.

“Some were rioting in our offices and throwing things at us. We had to close and transfer [because of fear],” Ranjit said.

The processing for the passports have all been fully paid since seven months ago, she said, showing to reporters a copy of the full list of workers and the official receipts they were issued.
The delay in the release of passports has caused many Filipinos there to miss availing of an amnesty program offered by the Malaysian government to undocumented migrant workers.

Juvy Ranjit, the managing director of an employment agency in Sabah, files a letter of appeal at the DFA Friday asking to have the passports of 687 Filipino workers released. She said the workers missed the Malaysian government’s amnesty program that expired November last year because of the delay and they are now facing possible arrest and deportation. Matikas Santos/INQUIRER.net

“Illegal workers can come forward and have their biometrics taken. Without that they cannot have passports and work permits,” she said.
“They can no longer get their work permits because the amnesty program expired last November. And now it is too late to get their passports and apply for work permits,” Ranjit said.

Because of that, the agencies are the ones being blamed by the workers, she said.

When they had come to the Philippine Embassy in Malaysia to follow up on the passports, they were told that the passports are still in Manila, which left her with no recourse but to personally come and
appeal to the DFA, she said.


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: DFA , Global Nation , ofws , Passports , Sabah



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • Palace prepared to charge its allies
  • 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  • PNP chief on plunder raps: ‘Amateurish’
  • Makati readies 12-month traffic plan for Skyway 3
  • Heard on Radyo Inquirer 990AM
  • Sports

  • Mixers trim Aces, force do-or-die tiff
  • Donaire junks Garcia as coach, taps father
  • ’Bye Ginebra: No heavy heart this time
  • UAAP board tackles new rules
  • Baguio climb to decide Le Tour de Filipinas
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • In love … with acting
  • From prison to the peak of success
  • ‘Asedillo’ location thrives
  • Business

  • PH banks not ready for Asean integration
  • Stocks down on profit-taking
  • Banks allowed to use ‘cloud’
  • SMIC to issue P15-B bonds
  • Honda upgrades PH plant
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • 19 Ukrainians, Russians, Filipinas rescued in bar raid
  • Filipinos coming home from Mideast must obtain MERS clearance – DOH
  • US Secret Service in Manila ahead of Obama visit
  • Palace thanks Estrada for successful HK mission
  • Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
  • Marketplace