Rejected Filipino war vets may yet get US benefits

A+
A
A-

MANILA, Philippines—Thousands of Filipino veterans have been given another crack at receiving benefits for their service to the United States during World War II, after Washington expanded the list of qualifications to include those with documents solely from the Philippine Army.

The Philippine Embassy in the United States said on Thursday some 4,000 Filipino war veterans may yet be eligible for compensation under the Filipino Veterans Equity Compensation (FVEC) Fund, part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (Arra) that provides for benefits to Filipinos who had fought alongside US forces in the war.

Under the 2009 FVEC Fund signed by President Barack Obama, Filipino war veterans living in the Philippines are eligible for a one-time $9,000 lump sum payment, while those residing in the United States get $15,000.

Reconsidered

Philippine Ambassador to the US Jose Cuisia Jr. said the White House Interagency Working Group had committed to reconsider the applications for benefits of the Filipino veterans following appeals by the embassy and Filipino-American organizations.

“We appreciate the commitment demonstrated by the Interagency Working Group and the efforts taken by the member agencies to review the certification process of the Filipino veterans and address their concerns,” said Cuisia.

“We are hopeful the procedures introduced would result in more appeals being approved and the processing time reduced,” he added in a statement.

Rosye Cloud, White House Director of Policy for Veterans, Wounded Warriors and Military Families, on Monday released a report titled “Recognizing the Extraordinary Contribution of Filipino Veterans” which “outlines the efforts taken by the United States to increase transparency and accelerate the processing of the claims of Filipino veterans.”

The US’ Interagency Working Group, composed of the Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Defense and the National Archives and Record Administration, began work on the appeal made by the Philippine Embassy and concerned Fil-Am groups in October 2012, “to address issues surrounding the denial of claims of veterans under the FVEC Fund,” the embassy said.

Under new guidelines set in the report, the US Veterans Administration will now accept Philippine Army documents from the Adjutant General of the Armed Forces of the Philippines in processing claim applications under the FVEC Fund, Cuisia said.

Many rejections

Previously, the US processed only the applications of Filipino veterans who could present certifications from the US National Personnel Records Center asserting that they were both on the Roster of Troops and the Discharge List, documents prepared by the US Army at the end of World War II, said Maj. Gen. Delfin Lorenzana, head of the Philippine Embassy’s Office of Veterans Affairs.

Lorenzana said the claims of many veterans were rejected because their names appeared on only one list.

“What the embassy had been asking the US government to do was to allow Filipino veterans to submit other official documents, and not to decide the fate of our veterans based solely on the two lists,” Lorenzana said.

Cuisia said the embassy would coordinate closely with the Philippine Veterans Affairs Office and the AFP Adjutant General “to ensure that the US Veterans Affairs regional office in Manila will be able to access Philippine Army documents that will aid in their positive evaluation of applications.”

The embassy will also continue to engage the US government in order “to explore all possible avenues” and help other Filipino war veterans qualify for FVEC benefits,” he said.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

  • divictes

    Too late. 20 yrs nang RIP ang lolo ko.

  • Kong An Lan

    Kahit anong delaying factors talaga gagawin. Namatay na lang lolo ko last year wala nangyari. Oh well.

  • kismaytami

    Another ‘pakulo’ from US policy makers. Paasahin nang paasahin ang mga WW2 Filipino veterans hanggang sa malagutan ng hininga. In that way makakatipid sila.

    • kanoy

      >>>>??Thousands of Filipino veterans have been given another crack at
      receiving benefits for their service to the United States during World
      War II

      SO THERE ARE ”THOUSANDS” OF 88-93 YEAR OLD FILIPINO SCOUTS STILL ALIVE–??
      THE PHILIPPINE ARMY WAS UNDER THE COMMAND OF THE US MILITARY BUT WAS NOT A PART OF ONLY THE PHILIPPINE SCOUTS WHERE MOST WHERE BORN BETWEEN 1918-1922 THERE ARE TENS IF NOT HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS HERE>> Filipino Soldiers & Sailors of the US Military during WWII (incomplete list)

  • novaliches

    diskumpiyado ang kano, marami kasing peke na nakalusot, galing yata sa recto ang mga papeles. ang dami kasi ng nag-apply, 3x ng estimate. Ubos ang budget, nagulat ang US congress sa haba ng buhay ng mga pinoy.

  • batangpaslit

    wala nang katuturan ito.
    we buried our father 23 years ago.
    magulang talaga ang Kano. pinatagal nila para kaunti na lang ang kanilang bayaran.
    pero kuwidaw, bilyon ang ginagastos para mabomba ang mga bansa na wala namang masamang ginawa sa kanila
    pero ang mga sundalong nagsilbi sa kanila, ayaw nilang ma recognize
    pero pag kalaban, kanilang nililiyag.
    look at Japan and Germany.
    U.S.A. even funded the rehabilitation of these Axis Powers members, their enemy.
    lesson learned is: do not be friendly to U.S.A., and U.S.A. will recognize that unfriendly nation or people.

  • Milesaway

    Forget it wala na rin yung Tatay ko 10 yrs ago.
    And for those 4000 eligible for compensation siguro pwede ng sagutin ng gobyerno natin para ipikita sa US na hindi tayo mahirap na bansa (mahirap yata ang nagsisinungaling ano!) at kaya natin bigyan ng dangal ang ating magiting na beterano.

  • BIGButo

    It sounds like so many fellow Filipinos want more money from an overseas government. When are we going to quit asking for handouts and start taking care of our own country and get rid of corruption. We sound like losers and beggars.

  • joboni96

    dedenggoyin pa ng imperyalista
    ang kakarampot na naiwan sa maraming nadenggoy nila

    pero kailangan ng imperyalista ng mga base ngayon sa pilipinas
    kaya magpapa sexy dyan at aayusin

    • BIGButo

      Leftist propagandist, Communist collaborator, NPA educated, Brainwashed.

      • joboni96

        from a nano utak
        nay no utak

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:

c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94