Sex raps filed vs envoy–DFA
MANILA, Philippines—Charges of sexual harassment were filed this month against recalled Philippine Ambassador to Kuwait Shulan Primavera for allegedly abusing a house help several times last year.
The confirmation was made Wednesday afternoon by Department of Foreign (DFA) Assistant Secretary and spokesman Raul Hernandez, who said Primavera would soon face a formal hearing after the charges were elevated against him based on a fact-finding investigation. He did not elaborate.
“He was already charged and a formal hearing will be conducted,” Hernandez said in a press briefing on Thursday.
A source privy to the case said the DFA’s committee on decorum and investigation had recommended the filing of formal charges earlier this month after its investigation “found probable cause based on testimonies and evidence gathered.”
The source refused to be identified due to the sensitive nature of the case.
Primavera was recalled in November shortly after his house help, nicknamed “Mabel,” complained of sexual abuse on three separate incidents from February to April of last year. He denied the charges.
Mabel is known to have fled an abusive employer in Kuwait before working at Primavera’s home.
Primavera was posted as head of the Philippines’ Kuwait mission in 2010. He has been in Manila since his recall late last year.—Tarra Quismundo
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.