PH Navy denies shooting incident in Sabah
More News from Frances Mangosing
More News from INQUIRER.net
“Wala, napakatahimik dito (Nothing, it’s very peacefull here),” Captain Renato Yonke of Navy Task Force 62 in Tawi-Tawi told reporters in a phone interview.
“Walang balita…kasipagka-kwan yan. puputok e (There’s no news, because if that is something (big), it would explode),” he added.
He added that they have so far not intercepted armed persons trying to go to Sabah, but evacuees in Sabah have been arriving to Tawi-Tawi.
In a report by Star Malaysia, Defense Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi was quoted as saying that 35 “armed Sulu militants” attempting to enter Sabah were shot dead by the Philippines navy and coast guard on Thursday.
The news article said that based on intelligence reports, the group was attempting to enter Sabah “to cause problems during the general election.”
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94