Quantcast
Latest Stories

PH to press UN case against China

By

President Aquino. FILE PHOTO

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Brunei—The Philippines will not drop its case against China over claims to the South China Sea even if China were to pull out its surveillance ships from the Scarborough Shoal, President Aquino said Wednesday night.

“That can’t be withdrawn,’’ the President told reporters in a chat at the Philippine Embassy here after the opening of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations summit Wednesday night. He said any deal for withdrawal would be susceptible to a “change in mood’’ later on.

Aquino stressed that the Philippines filed the notification and claim with the United Nations precisely to clarify its maritime borders with China under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (Unclos).

“What we’re after here is clarification for both parties. I don’t want to heighten the tension by demanding that they should respond to this. This is a process; we have to go to all the avenues open for all of us to finally come up with something that is definitive: what are your entitlements, what are your obligations,’’ he said.

The government filed the claim, asking the UN to compel China to respect the Philippines’ rights to explore and exploit resources within its exclusive economic zone (EEZ) and continental shelf as declared under Unclos.

It asked the international body to declare that the Philippines is entitled, as provided for by Unclos, to “12 nautical miles of territorial sea, 200 nautical miles of EEZ and established boundaries of its continental shelf from the baselines.’’

The Philippines ratified the 1982 convention in 1984 and China in 1996, but the two countries have conflicting interpretations of its provisions, especially on the scope of the EEZ.

China has kept three ships at the Scarborough Shoal despite earlier agreement between the two countries to pull out after last year’s tense standoff.

Aquino said the summit opened on a good note after Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei raised the maritime dispute in the South China Sea, and called for a “calm and peaceful resolution’’ of the matter in the post-dinner meeting.

“I think it really went well.  We were able to state our points with regard to arbitration and with regard to the COC (code of conduct),’’ he said, recalling that nobody intervened when the leaders discussed the need for a code of conduct with China in the South China Sea.

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen stalled moves by claimant countries to have the conflict mentioned in last year’s summit in Phnom Penh.

Putting the code of conduct high on the agenda of the summit was a “step in the right direction,’’ Aquino said, noting that the regional bloc has been tackling it for the last 10 years.

“We should really be thankful that the whole of the Asean is willing to discuss this instead of, you know, putting it on the backburner. That, I think, is already a help,’’ he said.

Aquino said a consensus might be reached to “push the matter forward to really define everybody’s entitlements and obligations.’’

“Instead of being put on a very low priority, it has been put in effect – not in a dominant position – but it is one of the priority areas and nobody has objected, and everybody was listening and discussing it. So that, I think, is a step in the right direction,’’ he said.

Asean hoped to reach a consensus on the draft code of conduct this year that would replace the Declaration of the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea, a 2002 non-aggression pact that has failed to stop conflicts in the international waterway, and present this to China.

Claimant-countries have been pushing for this code, but China has balked at it, claiming the time wasn’t ripe for it and preferring to negotiate with individual claimants.

The entire South China Sea is being claimed by China and in parts by the Philippines, Brunei, Vietnam and Malaysia and Taiwan.

Aquino said: “China is not a small entity, whether in the global economic field, in the military field, in population, etc. And I really think that Asean is already tackling the Code of Conduct moving forward after, again, 10 years—going to 11—is a step in the right direction. And we should be thankful that it is moving in that direction.’’


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Diplomacy , Features , South China Sea , territorial disputes , United Nations

  • $18209031

    Time for Pino Nation to send in the BRPs Del Rosario, Del Pilar, Humabon at Matang Lawin of Tagalog Region to area of contentions. The time is now to enforce Phil Area of Responsibility of air ,land and sea sovereignty.

    • tonygadoy

      Ay soli muna. Kasi kalawang pa BRP. UNCLOS na lang tayo mag tuos.

  • $18209031

    Republik of Luzon must now commence war footing status to enforce Phil ARea of Responsibility in areas of contention.

    • ClarkInKuwait

      You seems to lose some of your vitriolic now that the Philippine goes to International Court. With more that a billion Chinese minds no one can stand up and defend Chinese position of the 9 dash line. Every Chinese know that they claim is illegal anyway.

      • $18209031

        There s no illegal because it was part of CHina for centuries. Look at your own Euro masters for all the illegal acts they ve done. In fact they came, conquer and enslaved your azzes for 333 yrs and 48 yrs . China has never been a illegal occupier the likes of Euro thieves in the last 500 yrs.

      • ClarkInKuwait

        It seems that China is now embarking to replace the “Euro thieves” as you say it. It has now started land grabbing lands belonging to its neighbors. Having colonies now is passe. Out of times. Chinas time came too late for having colonies.

        China is too immature to play a great role in world affairs. It has great tendencies of self destruction. It has been crying and wailing about the US new pivot in Asia. It can not understand why its neighbors are having defense alliance with its competitor shunning China’s influence.

    • tonygadoy

      di pwede war footing. UN na bahala muna. Kumpleto na JUDGES sa UNCLOS. Hanap na lang kayo magaling abogado ha.

      • $18209031

        ITlog and UNcog are a joke. China has invested so much now to ensure sovereignty in the South China Sea . You have to fight China if you want your will enforced.

      • tonygadoy

        Di pwede nga fight China ngayon. UNCLOS muna tayo. Hanap kayo magaling abogago. Saka na FIGHT at ENFORCE a will kung panalo na kami sa UNCLOS. Hinahon muna OK?

  • shioktong

    Admirable job from the president. But, as it is likely expected that this action will give no result because there is no weight attached to this argument or statement. What if the china just ignore this? It will just end up to humiliation. Better to be prepared to the inevitable so that it will not be a hard slap on the face when it happens.
    Preparation for war still the best option to ensure peace negotiation.
    Having nuclear weapon is best than having u.s. Base & always begging for help.

  • rodulio

    weak and just weak…….

  • $26149191

    Go!!! Against the Big Fat Pig.

  • jacel_itim_na_puso

    Sulu will vote Independence from Philippines

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Thomas-Edison/1036523457 Thomas Edison

    china takes all; just like tibet

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Thomas-Edison/1036523457 Thomas Edison

    boycott china goods as protest..



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend
  2. 19 Ukrainians, Russians, Filipinas rescued in bar raid
  3. Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
  4. China and rivals sign naval pact to ease maritime tensions
  5. Believe it or not: Filipinos love US more than Yanks
  6. PH, HK end bitter row; sanctions lifted
  7. PH seeks ‘clearer assurance’ from US
  8. Obama arrives in Tokyo, first stop of 4-nation tour
  9. Palace thanks Estrada for successful HK mission
  10. US Secret Service in Manila ahead of Obama visit
  1. Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend
  2. Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  3. Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
  4. Japan says visa-free entry still a plan
  5. 85% of Filipinos love US – survey
  6. 10 US presidents who visited the PH (and what they said)
  7. WHO warns vs spread of MERS-Cov, urges vigilance in taking precautions
  8. 19 Ukrainians, Russians, Filipinas rescued in bar raid
  9. 150 Filipino teachers in Maryland to lose jobs, visas
  10. Japan mulls no visa rule for Filipinos
  1. US to China: We will protect Philippines
  2. Japan mulls no visa rule for Filipinos
  3. DFA grants visa-free privilege to 7 countries
  4. China warned: Don’t try to tow away BRP Sierra Madre
  5. Back home in Manila, and feeling out of place
  6. Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend
  7. Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  8. China: PH tarnishing Beijing’s international image
  9. What’s inside BRP Sierra Madre?
  10. Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
Advertisement

News

  • Ukraine FM: We are ready to fight Russia
  • Slain officer’s ‘diagram’ rocks PNP
  • 2 contractors fined P25,000 for delays in Edsa rehab
  • Luisita beneficiaries take over renters
  • 5 years of hard work pay off for top UP grad
  • Sports

  • Sharapova advances to Stuttgart quarterfinals
  • Galedo caps ride of redemption
  • Beermen, Express dispute second semis slot today
  • Lady Agilas upset Lady Bulldogs in four sets
  • NLEX roars to 7th D-League win
  • Lifestyle

  • Here’s your visual guide to all things cool, hot in summer fashion
  • The fundamentals of accessorizing
  • Love it or hate it? Kris Aquino’s new hairstyle
  • A brand for life
  • Wear a rainbow on your wrist
  • Entertainment

  • Kristoffer Martin: from thug to gay teen
  • Has Ai Ai fallen deeply with ‘sireno?’
  • California court won’t review Jackson doctor case
  • Cris Villonco on play adapted from different medium
  • OMB exec’s assurance: We work 24/7
  • Business

  • Gaming stocks gain, PSEi eases on profit-taking
  • Cebu Pacific flew 3.74M passengers as of March
  • Corporate bonds sweeteners
  • Professionals in the family business
  • Foreign funds flowed out in Q1, says BSP
  • Technology

  • Vatican announces hashtag for April 27 canonizations
  • Enrile in Masters of the Universe, Lord of the Rings?
  • Top Traits of Digital Marketers
  • No truth to viral no-visa ‘chronicles’
  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Opinion

  • Editorial Cartoon, April 25, 2014
  • No deal, Janet
  • Like making Al Capone a witness vs his gang
  • MERS-CoV and mothers
  • A graduation story
  • Global Nation

  • Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
  • Career diplomat is new PH consul general in Los Angeles
  • US4GG: Aquino should ask Obama for TPS approval, drone technology
  • Complex health care system for California’s elderly and poor explained
  • Tiff with HK over Luneta hostage fiasco finally over
  • Marketplace