Wednesday, October 26, 2016
globalnation / Headlines
  • share this

No Filipino victims of China quake

/ 07:30 AM April 21, 2013

DFA spokesperson Raul Hernandez

MANILA, Philippines—So far, there have been no reports of Filipinos hurt or even affected by the massive earthquake that struck China’s southwestern province of Sichuan on Saturday, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said.

DFA spokesperson Assistant Secretary Raul Hernandez said that as of noon Saturday, the Philippine consulate in Chongqing reported no Filipino casualties in the 7.0 temblor.

“As of noontime, there were no reports of Filipinos injured or affected by the earthquake. The Philippine consulate general in Chongqing will continue to monitor developments,” said Hernandez in a statement sent via text Saturday.


The earthquake was centered in Sichuan province but was also felt in Guizhou, Ganzu, Shaanxi, Yunnan and Chongqing, he said.

China’s state-run news agency Xinhua placed the death toll at 56 while the injured were estimated to number at least 600.

There are around 12,500 Filipinos in mainland China, mostly in major cities like Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. Of the total, roughly 200 are in southwestern China, Hernandez said.

TAGS: Assistant Secretary Raul Hernandez, China Earthquake, China quake, overseas Filipino worker, Sichuan province
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

© Copyright 1997-2016 | All Rights Reserved