DFA: No Filipinos hurt in Boston Marathon blast

A+
A
A-

An injured woman is tended to at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, in Boston, Monday, April 15, 2013. Two explosions shattered the euphoria of the Boston Marathon finish line on Monday, sending authorities out on the course to carry off the injured while the stragglers were rerouted away from the smoking site of the blasts. (AP Photo/The Boston Globe, John Tlumacki)

MANILA, Philippines – So far, there have been no reports of Filipinos hurt in the deadly Boston Marathon explosion, Foreign Affairs spokesperson Assistant Secretary Raul Hernandez said on Monday.

“The reports we have received from our officials in the United States, specifically those in New York and Washington, tell us that so far, no Filipino has been hurt in the explosion,” he told Radyo Inquirer in an interview.

But Hernandez did say that there were around 10 Filipinos who participated in the Boston Marathon, an athletic event considered to be one of the largest in the US.

Some of these Filipinos flew to the US to join the marathon, he said.

“I don’t have the names with me but our officials there said that so far they have received no reports of Filipinos hurt in the Boston Marathon explosion,” Hernandez said.

Twin explosions hit the sporting event on Monday, killing three persons, including an eight-year-old boy, and wounding more than a hundred individuals.

Hernandez said that the Department of Foreign Affairs has yet to decide on whether it would issue a travel advisory for Filipinos planning to head to the US anytime soon.

“We still have to discuss the latest security situation there. So far, what we know is that there are no reports of Filipinos hurt in the explosion,” he added.

Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte issued a statement earlier, saying that the Malacañang condemned the fatal attack.

“The President conveys a message of deep sympathy, concern and solidarity with the people of Boston, where he and his family had found refuge during the martial law, and which so many Filipinos call home,” she said in the statement.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

  • rlo

    Well our flag played prominently in the news. It was placed on the bleachers were the first bomb exploded.

  • Guest

    is this a retaliation from al queda?

    • kanoy

      NO WAY,,,,,THIS IS ANOTHER ONE WHO FLEW OVER THE COOCOO’S NEST

    • 33Sam

      This not retaliation from Al Qaeda as Al Qaeda is now working for NATO and the CIA. The switcheroo is new world order sleight of hand, knowing the public is dumbed down, that the public can be told anything and they will believe it. This murderthon was staged by the U.S. government. Know the truth. Governments are killing people on purpose and lying about who did it.

      See photos the U.S. govt and mainstream crony media does not want you to see:
      infowarsDOTcom/boston-bombing-culprits-found/

      Listen to Boston Governor Patrick, FBI Agent DesLauriers and the Boston police chiefs, go into psychic shock, avoid answering a question from Infowars Dan Bidondi:
      youtubeDOTcom/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SqmtMA25kW4#!

  • Drillon Recto

    See, being a couch potato or a Juan Tamad in the land of milk and honey has its benefits. No Filipino hurt because the blast happened early in the morning.

    • Sarkasmos

      You are a racist pig. And you have the temerity to show off your bigotry in this tragic moment. What a lowlife!

      • kanoy

        TRAGIC MOMENT? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ABOUT IT??>>

        A GROUP of Filipino schoolchildren were dragged from their
        bus and shot by attackers armed with automatic rifles and
        rocket-propelled grenade launchers. It was the most horrific in a wave
        of recent attacks blamed on Islamic rebels.
        Sixteen people, mostly children and including a
        two-year-old, were killed in the slaughter, which the Philippine
        authorities claimed was carried out by Muslim separatists. Ten others
        were seriously wounded in the attack on Friday evening in Cotabato
        province in the southern Mindanao

      • 33Sam

        Typical. Same for Boston Murderthon:

        See photos of Navy Seals with the same backpacks found exploded by Fox news thaty mainstream media won’t show you.

        infowarsDOTcom/boston-bombing-culprits-found/

        Hear and see Boston Governor Patrick avoid answering a question about bomb drill that happened moments before the bombs went off at the Boston Murderthon:

        youtubeDOTcom/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SqmtMA25kW4#!

      • 33Sam

        The real tragedy besides the humans that were killed and injured, is that the U.S. government with the help of mainstream media has been caught lying.

        View these photos mainstream media and the U.S. government does not want the world to see:

        infowarsDOTcom/boston-bombing-culprits-found/

        Here Boston Governor Patrick, FBI Agent DesLauriers are caught on camera refusing to answer a legitimate and true question about why there were agents telling marathon runners there was a bomb drill going on moments before the bombs went off. The Governor and all those people who stood for “truth justice and the American way” kept quiet on camera.

        youtubeDOTcom/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SqmtMA25kW4#!

    • kanoy

      NO FILIPINO HURT BECAUSE NO FILIPINO THERE ONLY A FEW AMERICANS WHOSE GREAT GREAT GRAND PARENTS ESCAPED FROM THE PHILIPPINES DECADES AGO…THE REAL FILIPINO SUFFERING ARE THE 1,500 STARVING OUTSIDE THE RP EMBASSY IN SAUDI BEING IGNORED BY AQUINO WHO IS TOO BUSY WATCHING AMERICANS RUNNING THE BOSTON MARATHON ON C-SPAN

  • http://www.facebook.com/dgud1 Mike Iron

    kung nagtaligsik pa og kuarta y Filipino nkapunit..galing ky bomba man..wa po’y Filipino natamaan..

  • 33Sam

    The photos mainstream media does not want you to see of the Boston Murderthon:

    infowarsDOTcom/boston-bombing-culprits-found/

    Any news media that does not carry these photos and asks questions as to why there were photos taken of Navy Seal dressed men carrying backpacks one minute and then seen without the backpacks that look exactly like the exploded backpack shown by Fox news, is nothing more than a goon-puppet for the people responsible for these murders. This is one murderthon the U.S. government has been caught having a hand in.

    Mainstream media and Boston authorities are purposely “looking the other way” on this. Proof that media is lying for the lying government.

    Here, Infowars reporter Dan Bidondi asks Boston Governor Patrick, FBI Agent DesLauriers, and the Boston police-force heads about why the marathon contestants were told over loud speakers, that a bomb drill was taking place on the race grounds at the same time the race was happening and not to worry, moments before the bombs went off. Bidondi’s questions were rudely ignored with deer-in-the-headlights stares from the Governor and his entourage:

    youtubeDOTcom/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SqmtMA25kW4#!

  • 33Sam

    Hey GLOBALNATION I dare you to post these photos: Tapat ba kayo???

    infowarsDOTcom/boston-bombing-culprits-found/

    And post this youtube clip:

    youtubeDOTcom/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SqmtMA25kW4#!

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:

c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94

editors' picks

advertisement
advertisement