Quantcast
Latest Stories

US Navy turns over ship’s navigational charts, papers to PH probers

By ,

In this photo taken on March 30, 2013, and released by the Philippine Coast Guard on Monday, April 1, 2013, the stern of the USS Guardian, a U.S. Navy minesweeper, is transferred to another ship after being lifted out of the water at the Tubbataha Reef, a World Heritage site, in the Tubbataha National Marine Park, southwest of the Philippines. AP PHOTO/PHILIPPINE COAST GUARD

MANILA, Philippines—The US Navy has turned over digital navigation maps and other important documents to Philippine investigators who are looking into the grounding of the minesweeper USS Guardian on Tubbataha Reef on Jan. 17.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Monday the Philippine Maritime Casualty Investigating Team (MCIT) “received on April 4 data and other materials relevant to its investigation of the grounding” of the US Navy minesweeper despite its advanced navigational equipment.

In a statement, the DFA said the digital investigation charts and other relevant documents were turned over by the US Navy to the MCIT.

“These maps and documents are important to our independent investigation of what caused the grounding of the USS Guardian,” the DFA said.

The DFA said the materials would also help identify measures that should be taken to prevent similar incidents in the future.

The US Navy handed over the documents to the MCIT during the team’s visit to Japan last week. They flew there to meet with their counterpart US investigators in lieu of one-on-one interviews with the Guardian’s crew, which the US sailors have refused.

“The MCIT, as part of its investigation, posed technical and substantive queries relevant to our independent investigation. US Navy officials have cooperated and the MCIT will process and assess the materials turned over to us and other information we obtained,” it added, quoting DFA Assistant Secretary Gilbert Asuque.

Technical matters

Asuque said US Navy officials also answered the Philippine safety inquiry team’s questions about the incident, including technical matters pertaining to the Guardian.

The MCIT’s meetings with US Navy officers in Japan followed the US Pacific Fleet’s announcement on April 3 that it had relieved four of the Guardian’s officers and crew for failing to comply with the US Navy’s standard navigational procedures.

Faulty navigational equipment is believed to have caused the Guardian’s grounding at the marine sanctuary just as it sailed out of the Philippines following a routine port call at the Subic Bay Freeport in Olongapo City.

The US has repeatedly promised to compensate the Philippines for its ship’s damage to what is considered a national treasure.

Last week, the Tubbataha Management Office (TMO) said the Philippines would ask the US to pay $1.4 million (about P60 million) in compensation for the damage caused by the Guardian to the reef.

The amount is based on studies by Philippine agencies, including the Philippine Coast Guard that found the ship damaged at least 2,345 square meters of the reef.

The grounded ship, which had to be dismantled piece by piece, was finally removed from the reef on March 30.

Under Republic Act No. 10067, or the Tubbataha Reef Natural Park Act of 2009, a fine of about $600, or P24,000, per square meter of damaged reef is mandatory.

The TMO, however, said “further park rule violations boosted the final total to about $1.4 million, or roughly P60 million.

Paltry amount

Some senators, however, think the amount is paltry.

The Worldwide Fund for Nature-Philippines, however, said Monday that while it was paltry to some, the $1.4-million fine was proof that the Philippines enforces its laws on violators.

Jose Ma. Lorenzo Tan, WWF-Philippines vice chairman and CEO, said  the Tubbataha Protected Area Management Board had “no choice” but to impose the fine as specified by  law.

“No choice. That’s what is specified by the law,” Tan said by phone, referring to RA 10067. “We have no mandate to change it. If we change it, we can be questioned.”

The TMO was set to forward the notice of violation and payment of the fine to the US Embassy in Manila on Monday, officials said—With a report from TJ Burgonio


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: environmental issues , Global Nation , Philippines , Tubbataha Reef , US Navy , USS Guardian

  • divictes

    No truth to the rumor that the maps and charts were printed in China…he he he…really

    • Crazy_horse101010

      the gps was i heard

  • $18209031

    They wanted to show evidence it was not a human error but navigational error. Thus, they will ask not to pay the 1.4 million in fees. Ang labas scathe free and case is closed . The ship is already removed from the incident site and nothing to complain about.

  • teodoroflorentino

    “Chinese fishing vessel runs aground at Tubbataha Reef” as reported this morning at ANC. I wonder how much attention will this get from the civil society groups, media, environmental rights activist and the government… This only proves how poorly equipped our Philippine Coast Guard / Navy is. What should be a “Protected Area” is actually “UNPROTECTED” since no vessel from the PCG or PN is actually “On Site” to CHALLENGE any vessel passing through the area. Unlike the Chinese in Scarborough shoal wherein they have a constant presence of at least 2 or 3 Maritime or Navy vessels guarding and challenging any vessel that ATTEMPTS to pass or enter.

  • Enviroclean

    $1.4 million dollars is pointless compared with the importance of bilateral and economic ties of Philippines with US. True friends are always there for each other.

  • i_am_filipino

    This is too much. Now that the chinese vessel grounded, why not investigate it rather, their documents is still within them. Jail them for they have no permit. Also take their VDR or video data recorder which is mandatory to international sea going vessel

  • $18209031

    Chinese fishing in conducting fishing in and around Tubbathata Reef. They are awaiting PLAN ships to tow them back to open waters. You are advised not to interfere in the crews activities.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • Luzon grid power reserve ‘enough’ for Holy Week
  • Pimentel proposes incentives for companies that will hire ex-convicts
  • State seeks guilty verdict for Abalos
  • SBMA execs, 2 others face graft raps
  • Pangasinan beachgoers warned vs jellyfish
  • Sports

  • My ideal weight is 140, declares Pacquiao
  • Freddie Roach: I’m satisfied; Manny Pacquiao did well
  • New-look Azkals tie Qatari side
  • San Miguel Beermen eye No. 2 slot, battle Air21 Express
  • Filipinos yield to Iraqis anew Asian club volley
  • Lifestyle

  • Celebrate Easter Sunday at Buddha-Bar Manila
  • Moriones feast: A slow, steady transformation
  • Weaving ‘palaspas’ a tradition kept alive in Tayabas City
  • Finalists announced for best translated books
  • Summer treat for your aspiring astronomers
  • Entertainment

  • Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels US concert
  • Otaku Summer Jam 2014: Summer’s hottest J-rock/Cosplay event
  • 2NE1 returns to Manila with “All Or Nothing” Tour
  • Gary Valenciano just keeps moving
  • Noisy celeb spews venom, backs off when confronted
  • Business

  • Longer TRO sought on rate hike
  • Make a stylish statement with the all-new Yaris
  • Hearing set in Olarte case
  • BOC sues steel importers
  • BIR continues to miss collection target
  • Technology

  • Tech company: change passwords or suffer ‘Heartbleed’
  • Filling the digital talent gap
  • SSS to shut down website for Holy Week
  • Another reason to quit social media this Holy Week: your safety
  • Philippines may watch ‘blood moon’ online
  • Opinion

  • We may never know
  • Couple of things
  • Mommy D’s magic
  • Stop bizarre and bloody Good Friday rituals
  • Holy Week taboos
  • Global Nation

  • No travel restrictions to Middle East amid MERS-CoV scare
  • Measures set against entry of MERS-CoV
  • Japan backs PH in case before UN
  • Las Vegas union starts pickets over wages, benefits
  • Fil-Am Daly City councilor has eye on Superior Court seat
  • Marketplace