Kidnapped Australian Rodwell remains in captivity—military
ZAMBOANGA CITY—Kidnapped Australian national Richard Warren Rodwell remained in captivity as of 10:30 p.m. Thursday, the military claimed.
This was contrary to earlier claims made by Col. Gregorio Rodrigo, spokesman of the Western Mindanao Command, who said Rodwell was on his way to the Don Basilio Navarro Hospital after he was released by his abductors.
Rodrigo had told journalists to cover the arrival of Rodwell at the hospital.
Refusing to give details of the release, Rodrigo only said, “Journalists must be at the Wesmincom at 6 p.m.”
At around 10:30 p.m. Thursday, however, Rodrigo said “negotiation is still ongoing on the ground.”
“We are hopeful that anytime soon, Rodwell will be freed. This is due to a new development taking place,” he said.
Rodwell was abducted by armed men from his home in Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay, last Dec. 5, 2012.
Earlier, Basilan Vice Gov. Al Rasheed Sakalahul told the Inquirer of the possible release of Rodwell Thursday.
Sakalahul had been requested by the victim’s family to negotiate for the release of Rodwell.—Julie S. Alipala
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94