MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine government will provide lawyers to the eight Filipinos charged with terrorism on Wednesday in Lahad Datu, Sabah in Malaysia.
In an ambush interview Thursday in Naga City, President Aquino said he had an “obligation” to ensure that the Filipinos would be accorded due process under Malaysian laws.
“It’s automatic for us to provide legal assistance to any of our countrymen facing charges regardless if we believe or not in their cause,” said the President.
“But we have obligation to safeguard their rights,” said Mr. Aquino.
The President disclosed that he had already tasked the Department of Foreign Affairs, with the help of the Department of Justice, to extend legal assistance to the group.