Quantcast
Latest Stories

3 Filipinos killed amid pullout talks in Sabah

By

Three more Filipinos were killed in Lahad Datu, Sabah, according to military chief Gen. Zulkifeli Zin in a news briefing as reported by Radio Malaysia and monitored by the Inquirer in Digos City, Davao del Sur.

The military chief also said a Malaysian soldier was killed in the encounter with his troops, bringing to nine the number of Malaysian troop fatalities since violence flared in Sabah two weeks ago.

Zulkifeli said that the fatalities included a commander of the Moro National Liberation Front, Haji Musa, who was gunned down on Thursday in a clash in Tanjung Batu village.

In Manila, the Philippines has relayed to Malaysia results of discussions initiated on Monday in Manila on the “disengagement” of armed followers of Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III from Sabah, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) announced Tuesday.

DFA spokesman Raul Hernandez also told reporters that a team from the Philippine Embassy had been able to check on conditions of Filipino workers and their families affected by clashes between the sultan’s followers pressing his claim on Sabah and Malaysian troops that had left more than 60 Filipinos and Malaysians dead.

Disengagement

 

“We were asked to convey to the Malaysian side this issue of disengagement. The secretary of foreign affairs (Albert del Rosario) was able to convey a clarification regarding this issue and we will be waiting for the response of the Malaysian side on this,” Hernandez said.

“I cannot go into details as of now but this is regarding what Secretary Mar Roxas was talking about with Esmail Kiram,” Hernandez said of the discussions on Monday between the interior secretary and the sultan’s brother.

He did not give a direct answer when asked what role the DFA would play in the disengagement, regarded as a step forward in largely unsuccessful negotiations between the Philippine government and the Kirams a month into the Lahad Datu standoff.

Lack of response

The Philippines also remained optimistic about Malaysia’s friendship despite several unanswered notes verbales the DFA had sent Kuala Lumpur on the Lahad Datu situation.

Hernandez confirmed that Malaysia had yet to respond to the DFA’s request to provide a humanitarian corridor for Filipino noncombatants fleeing the conflict, access of Philippine consular officers to detained followers of the Sulu sultan and crossing of the Philippines’ humanitarian ship from Tawi-Tawi to Lahad Datu.

Asked how the DFA took such a lack of response from Malaysia, Hernandez said: “I would not want to make an analysis of that but for the time being, I would say these requests are still outstanding.”

“We want them to answer and let us know immediately so we can do our job,” he said.

Hernandez said Assistant Foreign Secretary Theresa Lazaro reiterated these appeals to Malaysian Ambassador to the Philippines Mohd Zamri Mohd Kassim on Sunday.

NGOs assisting Filipinos

Asked how the standoff had affected ties between the Philippines and Malaysia, Hernandez said: “It’s difficult to immediately say that after something like this and we come and make an assessment of the relationship … For now, we can say we have close relations with Malaysia and we want to further enhance this as the years go by.”

Citing a report from the Philippine consular team at Felda Sahabat, Hernandez said some 500 Filipinos evacuated away from the fighting had enough supply of food and received medical assistance from Malaysian nongovernment organizations.

The consular team is currently assessing other needs of the Filipinos, he said.

The DFA has yet to confirm reports of rights abuses against Filipino noncombatants in Lahad Datu by Filipinos who recently returned from Sabah, Hernandez said.

He said Philippine agencies were documenting, validating and confirming such reports, which the Malaysian side already denied through its media.

The DFA earlier asked Malaysia to clarify such reports but like the requests it earlier sent Malaysia on the Sabah situation, had yet to receive a formal reply.

Abigail Valte, Malacañang’s deputy spokesperson, told reporters that initial results of the meeting between Roxas and Esmail Kiram in Camp Crame on Monday were “encouraging.”

“This is a continuation of the President’s objective to still find a peaceful resolution to this particular incident,” she said, but could not elaborate.

Valte said the Department of Social Welfare and Development had so far been unable to corroborate accounts of mistreatment by Malaysian securitymen of Filipino arrivals from Sabah.

Disturbing reports

But in Zamboanga City, Laisa Alamia, director of the Commission on Human Rights of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, told the Inquirer on Tuesday that more Filipinos who fled Sabah were recounting abuses in the hands of the Malaysians.

“During my talk with them, they recounted how Malaysian security forces brutally handled Filipinos,” she said.

Filipino mothers were separated from their children as Malaysian policemen went on a rampage, she said, adding that 200 children had arrived in Jolo and Bongao without their parents.

“The stories were very disturbing and saddening,” Alamia said.

Asean voice silent

The Davao City-based NGO Initiatives for International Dialogue (IID) said Asean should follow the steps of UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon in calling for the immediate cessation of hostilities in Sabah and the provision of humanitarian aid to those affected by the conflict.

“In this time of need for resolute leadership in our region, we find Asean’s voice markedly silent on Sabah. We feel that it is time for Asean to step up and lead in this time of crisis,” IID executive director Gus Miclat said in a statement Tuesday.—With reports from Michael Lim Ubac and Jerome Aning in Manila; and Julie Alipala and Allan Nawal, Inquirer Mindanao


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Global Nation , Malaysia , Philippines , Sabah intrusion , Unrest

  • http://www.facebook.com/son.ofgaia.7 Son Ofgaia

    “Pumunta sila dito sa akin. Sultan ako” Geeeezzzzz…

    This old senile guy and his fat, lying through the teeth “princess” is responsible for the death of many Filipino. They have blood on their hand and must be stop immediately.

    As far as the Sabah issue concern, why should we get involved? Lets not forget that the Fat Jacel has said it is a matter between her family and Malaysia.

    p/s People speak so highly of the “fearsome Tausug”. So much so that the Spanish, American and AFP cannot defeat them. I guess now they’ve met their match. If the news is correct in 10 days 54 of them already dead at the hand of the Malaysian.

    Bombahin na yang mga traidor na yan para matapos na!!

  • http://twitter.com/kl_kch_oz disillusioned panda

    It’s unfortunate that innocent women and children have to suffer as a result of the mindless act of a few Sulu people. The longer this goes on, the more impatient our government will be so I’m hoping the so called Sultan and his followers will drop their claim and just leave. No present day Sabahans (Kadazan, Murut, Dusun,Bajau, Kedayan, Rungus, Lundayeh, Bisaya etc) want this Sultan as their leader or to even leave Malaysia and become and independent nation. They have spent more than 50 years as “Malaysians” so expecting them to suddenly give up their Malaysian citizenship is too much to ask. There are other ways for this Sultan to address his grievance but this is not one of them. In fact the longer this goes on, the less sympathy they’ll get from the Malaysian public and the international community.

    The biggest mistake was the way they treated our soldiers, where as most of you probably know by now, they mutilated their bodies. The pictures have gone viral and have angered many Malaysians. Things are very different now than they were when the Sulu Sultanate was at it’s prime back in the day. Sabahans identify themselves as Malaysians and not surprising given that they, along with Sarawak help Malaya form Malaysia.

    If you want more rent money, then ask but do it through your government. Don’t try to force us to increase the rent by invading Sabah and mutilating our defence personnel. I was reminded of what the barbaric Maduras had done to the Dayaks during their conflict not so long ago where they chopped their heads off and paraded the heads on the streets! There are other more signified ways to press your claim.

    We have every right to defend ourselves when we’re under attack. Sabah is part of Malaysia at the moment and not the Phillipines so Putrajaya can’t just ignore any form of invasion of any State or Territory in Malaysia. Don’t forget, elections are also just around the corner.

    Please leave Sabah now and start discussing with your President how to get Malaysia to go to ICJ or to at least increase the rent.

  • JosengSisiw1

    So where are the pictures of children without the parents? What are their names? Where are they now? Who are taking care of them? You cannot just say disturbing stories and reports without a single evidence supporting these stories. Can this reporter be more comprehensive in reporting? This could be a headline already if you know what you are doing. Day by day the news here are getting and sounding more hearsay than truth. Anybody can claim anything, that’s the problem with this kind of reporting. Hello INQUIRER editors could you please at least check put some pressures on your reporters to dig more than this rubbish news.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_HPGUIIJ44DMCSONOPI4JAEMUZM lex

    this is like WW2, they were talking about peace but at the same time they were attacking pearl harbor! politicians were giving in to hitler just to save face! look what happened! history is repeating itself!

  • PinoyPinoyako

    I don’t care about kiram and his followers. But if the reports are true that Malaysian authorities are abusing the other Filipinos in Sahah then this will be a different story. Malaysians maybe better equip militarily but they lack the experience in fighting. What good is a powerful gun if the one using it can’t fire it accurately because of fear of dying. Several battalions of fully equip (with bullet proof vest) had difficulty fighting only a handful of determined Filipinos…Better NOT provoked the silent Filipino majority,,,we can certainly kicked the butts of these arrogant Malaysians easily !!!

    • Jonathan Lim

      Can’t wait for that! Our reservists need some life targets for practice shots. Pinoys are a good replacement for PIG carcasses.

  • Diepor

    So called sultan end this situation now.

    • Akang

      How can this end? The self proclaimed Sultan, has in his team various spokepersons that contradict each other god knows what they really mean.

  • koliwong

    The SATAN OF KIRAM TYPICAL SCREWED MIND SET

    1. Only Adgimudin can talk act directly [ hoping that any reimbursement by Malaysian authority will be keep secretly within THE SATAN and the young SATAN...that's to ensure that he got unknown source to become next SATAN OF PHILIPINE ]

    2. Let all them die to allowed their spirit of war flow to the children so the pirate decendent can be continue by word of ISLAM

    3. Let them kill all MUSLIM of Malaysia as a JIHAD AGAIN MALAYSIAN ISLAM

    4. Let them die since he himself also gonna die later due to kidney failure…

    5. Let them fight so more evacuee will return to filipina return to Mindanao and spreading rumours in order to pressurise the Philippine government to have war with Malaysian government while he and his people laugh…

    6. Let them fight to create election impact result on P-NOY in order for arroyo to return in power.

    7. Let them fight to death to show the world in respect of TAUSUG SULU…

    8. Let them fight to the so they could impress world leader on their claim

    The Philippines Government, MNLF and MILF should take action on the SATAN Stupidity because..

    1. Its risking the Philippines diplomatic relationship in ASEAN by eyeing the Philippine government endorse the incursion by not arresting the SATAN

    2. Its risking the Mindanao investment Strategies which wooing ASEAN and OIC investor by name of ISLAM to develop Mindanao by eyeeing if this problem itself could not resolve by MILF,MNLF and Philippines Government…What is the risk impact if this SATAN turn back his fight to Philippines government then ?

    3. Its risking imported material from Sabah domestic price…which might increase the Inflation rate on Mindanao which is not only provide increment of poverty level but also increment of inconsistency of Autonomy Management.

    4. Increment of evacuee providing impact on social community which might increase criminal activity

    5. Providing impact on return fund from Sabah which so long helping the government to increase inhouse consumer rate…

    6. Return investment by wellness filipino in Sabah might be impacted up to 90% due to SEA ROUTE RESTRICTION within Mindanao and Sabah…

    By the Way…as far as i can see…Its only the SATAN will be happy at last but the people of Mindanao is the most affected…

    For me its very important for the Intelect of Mindanao to wake up their concern on long term impact due to the greediness of the SATAN to the Philippines government, MILF and MNLF..

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/VS5EYSP4FPOTVQCJZ24NRE6Z2M Edgardo Mendoza

    malayshits genocide pilipinos in his home land!



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • Anti-gay demo in Ethiopia cancelled
  • Obama launches measures to support solar energy in US
  • Nebraska toddler gets stuck inside claw machine
  • Philippine eagle rescued by Army turned over to DENR
  • Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers
  • Sports

  • Duke freshman declares for NBA draft
  • Vietnam says it will not host Asian Games
  • Nadal passes clay landmark with 300th victory
  • Wawrinka waltzes through with Monte Carlo walkover
  • Power Pinays smash India in Asian Women’s Club volleyball opener
  • Lifestyle

  • Ford Mustang turns 50 atop Empire State Building
  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • This is not just a farm
  • Clams and garlic, softshell crab risotto–not your usual seafood fare for Holy Week
  • Entertainment

  • Cannes film festival launches race for 2014 Palme d’Or
  • Jones, Godard, Cronenberg in competition at Cannes
  • Will Arnett files for divorce from Amy Poehler
  • American rapper cuts own penis, jumps off building
  • Jay Z to bring Made in America music fest to LA
  • Business

  • Total says makes ‘very promising’ oil find off Ivory Coast
  • ‘Chinese Twitter’ firm Weibo to go public in US
  • World stocks subdued, Nikkei flat on profit taking
  • Asia stocks fail to match Wall Street gains
  • Fired Yahoo exec gets $58M for 15 months of work
  • Technology

  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Filipinos #PrayForSouthKorea
  • Taylor Swift tries video blogging, crashes into fan’s bridal shower
  • DOF: Tagaytay, QC best at handling funds
  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Malaysia quarantines 64 villagers over MERS virus
  • DFA: 2 Filipinos survive Korean ferry disaster
  • PH asks airline passengers to check for MERS
  • Syria most dangerous country for journalists, PH 3rd—watchdog
  • Japan says visa-free entry still a plan
  • Marketplace