Quantcast
Latest Stories

Malaysia rejects Sabah ceasefire call


FELDA SAHABAT, Malaysia—Malaysia’s prime minister on Thursday rejected a ceasefire call by Sultan Jamalul Kiram III of Sulu whose Islamic fighters launched a deadly incursion into Sabah.

Malaysian forces are currently hunting for the Islamic militants in a remote region of Borneo island where they landed last month to assert a long-dormant territorial claim in what has become Malaysia’s worst security crisis in years.

Kiram called for ceasefire at midday in Manila but Prime Minister Najib Razak, who flew to the region Thursday to inspect security operations, said he told President Benigno Aquino by phone the offer was rejected.

“I told President Aquino they must lay down their arms immediately,” Najib told reporters in a village near the area where up to 300 militants were being searched for.

“They have to surrender their arms and they have to do it as soon as possible.”

Sulu sultan calls for ceasefire in Sabah

Kiram  declared a unilateral ceasefire beginning 12:30 p.m. (0430 GMT) and urged Malaysia to reciprocate.

But Najib said Malaysian forces would continue to press the offensive, adding that still more soldiers would be sent in to the hilly region of vast oil palm estates and pockets of jungle.

Anger has mounted in Malaysia over the standoff, which began February 12 when fighters arrived from the southern Philippines to press Kiram’s claim to the area.

Kiram says he is heir to the Sultanate of Sulu, which once ruled islands that are now part of the southern Philippines, as well as Sabah.

An estimated 100-300 militants were holed up in the sleepy farming village of Tanduo for three weeks until a pair of deadly shootouts with security forces at the weekend triggered a military assault with jet fighters and ground forces Tuesday.

However, the attack appears to have merely scattered the fighters, and security forces were combing through huge palm groves for them. Sporadic exchanges of fire have been reported since the assault.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urged a peaceful resolution of the bizarre incursion, which has led to at least 28 reported deaths — 20 militants and eight police officers.

“(Ban) urges an end to the violence and encourages dialogue among all the parties for a peaceful resolution of the situation,” said a statement released by his office late Wednesday.

Kiram declared the “unilateral ceasefire… in order to reciprocate the call of the UN to preserve lives”, said his spokesman.

Malaysia’s military assault appears to have failed, with authorities confirming just one kill so far.

They have not explained how the militants — said to be alive and well and in contact with their Manila comrades — were able to escape a tight security cordon built up over three weeks.

Tension is running high in eastern Sabah due to the incursion, and residents of some towns have fled after police said gunmen were spotted in other areas down the coast, raising fears of a wider guerrilla infiltration.

Late Wednesday, police said the bodies of six police officers killed in a weekend ambush in the coastal town of Semporna were mutilated.

“The bodies of dead police personnel were found to have been brutally mutilated by the armed intruders,” a statement said, giving no further details.

Police have said six militants responsible for the Semporna ambush were later killed by reinforcements.

The incursion has proven a delicate situation for the two neighbors, with Manila earlier calling for Malaysian restraint just before Tuesday’s military assault was launched.

Malaysian Foreign Minister Anifah Aman said late Wednesday that his government might seek Kiram’s extradition if Manila failed to take action, but the Philippine government said that was unlikely, citing the lack of an extradition treaty.


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Ceasefire , Malaysia , Sabah claim , Sultan Jamalul Kiram III

  • disqus_EWrSdjV1nv

    HAIL KIRAM!!!  SEND REINFORCEMENTS.

    • ofwme2807

       dont worry they are now there and planning of guerilla warfare is being done…just wait and be patient the lull in the battle will be broken anytime the Malaysian pigs and command-dogs hunting them have not rested eaten slept taken bath and they will all be shaken of the next moves of the warriors the Royal Army…

      • just21st

        DOwn with the sulu/ph intruders.

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/VS5EYSP4FPOTVQCJZ24NRE6Z2M Edgardo Mendoza

    this malaysian ugly force is a beast and the prime minister najib razak hiding in 7 battalion soldier razak looks gay and use lipstik malaysian ugly force will out in sabah soon!!

    • just21st

      Hey, buulshit. Please respect the PM. Who u think you are

      • boypalaban

        he is the man you are dreaming to liccck the dicck…why don’t you follow your gay prime minister…you queen of transgender…

  • Matambaka

     
    Malaysia fears World Court solution over Sabah claim, says columnist

    UPDATED @ 12:30:35 PM 08-03-2013

    By Ida Lim
    March 08, 2013   

    KUALA
    LUMPUR, March 8 — Proof showing that Sabah “clearly” belongs to the
    Sultanate of Sulu has caused Malaysia to be fearful of bringing the
    dispute to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) or to the table for
    talks, a columnist for a Manila-based paper has claimed.

    In an
    opinion piece titled “Irony: Malaysian-trained Sulu fighters”, Neal H.
    Cruz said both the Philippine and Malaysian governments could “persuade”
    the Filipino Muslim rebels in Sabah to leave the state that is part of
    Malaysia, by either entering into negotiations or going to the ICJ.

    Self-style
    Sultan of Sulu Jamalul Kiram III claims Sabah belongs to his sultanate.
    — Reuters pic“That is for Malaysia to either agree to take the
    Sultanate of Sulu’s claim to Sabah to the International Court of Justice
    (ICJ) or to negotiate with the Philippine government and the sultanate,
    with a definite date for the talks to start,” he wrote yesterday.

    But
    he said Malaysia was fearful of taking either option, adding that the
    country was holding on to Sabah by “sheer force of arms”, possibly
    referring to Malaysia’s show of military muscle with its all-out strike
    on Tuesday against the estimated 200-odd Sulu gunmen who had intruded
    Sabah’s east coast over three weeks ago to press the Sultanate of Sulu’s
    claim on the state.

    “Why is Malaysia afraid to do either?
    Because historical and documentary evidence clearly prove that Sabah
    belongs to the Sultanate of Sulu.

    “Malaysia is holding on to it
    by sheer force of arms, just like Hitler did in annexing neighbouring
    European countries and Tojo did in annexing neighbouring Southeast Asian
    countries during World War II,” he claimed in his column “As I See It”
    on the Philippine Daily Inquirer’s news portal.

    Calling Sabah the
    “homeland of Sulu Muslims”, the columnist said that Malaysia should
    “return” Sabah to its “rightful owners for humanitarian reasons”, adding
    that the UN should step in before more people die in the clashes in
    there, which have already left 52 Sulu gunmen and eight Malaysian
    policemen dead.

    Earlier in his column, he said that Sabah is not
    important to Malaysia, alleging that the federal government in
    Peninsular Malaysia was neglecting Sabah because of the state’s
    distance.

    “But it is very important to the Filipinos of Sulu, to
    which it is very close. They need it for trade (there is now a shortage
    of food in Tawi-Tawi because of the fighting in Sabah) and for jobs and
    living space,” he said, referring to the Philippine islands Tawi-Tawi,
    which is near the Sabah east coast and whose residents reportedly buy
    food from Sabah.

    Last Saturday, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima
    from the Philippines’ Department of Justice reportedly said the
    government had not ruled out taking the Sulu group’s claim on Sabah to
    the ICJ, but was carefully studying the case as it did not want to
    strain its friendship with Malaysia.

    The Sultanate of Sulu has
    laid claim to Sabah, saying it had merely leased North Borneo in 1878 to
    the British North Borneo Company for an annual payment of 5,000 Malayan
    dollars then, which was increased to 5,300 Malayan dollars in 1903.

    Sabah,
    however, joined Malaya, Sarawak and Singapore to form Malaysia in 1963,
    after which Malaysia continued paying an annual stipend of RM5,300 to
    the Sulu sultanate on the basis of the sultanate ceding the Borneo
    state.

    Yesterday, the Sultanate of Sulu called for a ceasefire to
    the month-long battle in Sabah, promising to lay down their weapons and
    take a defensive stance if Malaysian security forces agreed to do the
    same.

    But Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak yesterday
    rejected the call, saying that the Sulu militants must surrender
    unconditionally instead.

    Najib also highlighted the Cobbold
    Commission’s 1962 referendum in Sabah and Sarawak, where about
    two-thirds of the people supported the creation of Malaysia, thus
    exercising their right to self-determination.

  • Matambaka

     Did Malaysia really Bomb teir own Military?

    1. Check uniform in picture
    2. Gloves

    Substitute (DOT) with period ====>>>http://bit(DOT)ly/15BAmn2

    • disqus_EWrSdjV1nv

      YES. MALAYSIA BOMBED THEIR OWN.

      WITH MALAYSIA KILLING THEIR COLLEAGUES, WE DONT NEED TO SEND ANOTHER SOLDIER.

      TAMA SI NOYNOY. KAYANG UBUSIN NG MALAYSIA SARILI NILA.

  • disqus_EWrSdjV1nv

    CALLING KIRAM. PLEASE SEND OUR COUNTRYMEN HOME. WITH THE RATE MALAYSIANS ARE BOMBING THEMSELVES, WE MAY NOT HAVE A NEIGHBOR IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

    THEY REALLY BOMBED THEMSELVES.  SEE MATAMBAKA’S LINK.

  • disqus_EWrSdjV1nv

    MALAYSIANS. PLEASE SEND YOUR AIRCRAFT HERE BEFORE THEY KILL MORE MALAYSIANS.

    • Matambaka

      sinasalakay na tayo ng mga Malisyano sa mga kumento oh… dami na nila nakalat…Bawas kita din yan ng goberno nila sa Petronas ang pina pangsahod sa kanila  lol

      Tawagin na ang  buong baranggay at makisali na sa bakbakan sa DisQus hehe…

      Pwede bang i shutdown itong mga makapili? hehe

      • http://profile.yahoo.com/LVMM73YDTDBOZPIBI2XHAAPMRM Debbie

         binili lopez group and majority share ng petronas… hahahaha



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Filipinos second-shortest in Southeast Asia
  2. Afghan hospital guard kills 3 US doctors, including Fil-Am pediatrician
  3. HK victims to get P115M; traders raised money
  4. Career diplomat is new PH consul general in Los Angeles
  5. Senator hopes PH will also get same vow
  6. Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend
  7. US4GG: Aquino should ask Obama for TPS approval, drone technology
  8. Obama to visit Filipino soldiers in Fort Bonifacio
  9. Believe it or not: Filipinos love US more than Yanks
  10. Abandoned in Malta,15 PH seamen return
  1. Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend
  2. Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  3. Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
  4. Japan says visa-free entry still a plan
  5. 85% of Filipinos love US – survey
  6. 10 US presidents who visited the PH (and what they said)
  7. WHO warns vs spread of MERS-Cov, urges vigilance in taking precautions
  8. 19 Ukrainians, Russians, Filipinas rescued in bar raid
  9. 150 Filipino teachers in Maryland to lose jobs, visas
  10. Japan mulls no visa rule for Filipinos
  1. US to China: We will protect Philippines
  2. Japan mulls no visa rule for Filipinos
  3. DFA grants visa-free privilege to 7 countries
  4. China warned: Don’t try to tow away BRP Sierra Madre
  5. Back home in Manila, and feeling out of place
  6. Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend
  7. Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  8. China: PH tarnishing Beijing’s international image
  9. What’s inside BRP Sierra Madre?
  10. Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
Advertisement

News

  • Obama due in Seoul as North Korea nuclear test fears grow
  • Hold departure order out vs Corona, Singson
  • Malaysia to release MH370 report–PM
  • Man found dead in Quezon City, alleged victim of summary execution–report
  • Aquino to lead Air Force turnover rites
  • Sports

  • Michael Phelps loses to Lochte in comeback meet
  • Sharapova advances to Stuttgart quarterfinals
  • Galedo caps ride of redemption
  • Beermen, Express dispute second semis slot today
  • Lady Agilas upset Lady Bulldogs in four sets
  • Lifestyle

  • ‘Recovered’ Banksy works on display ahead of sale
  • Marinduque: Visiting the ‘palm of the ocean’
  • First at Vatican in 60 years
  • How Jing Monis Salon gave Krissy the pixie
  • Want to be a supermodel? Work on your inner beauty, says Joey Espino
  • Entertainment

  • Paul McCartney to play at Candlestick concert
  • Kristoffer Martin: from thug to gay teen
  • Has Ai Ai fallen deeply with ‘sireno?’
  • California court won’t review Jackson doctor case
  • Cris Villonco on play adapted from different medium
  • Business

  • PAL hailed for ban on shark fin cargo
  • BSP to change tint of P100 bill
  • Nielsen sees car buying boom in the Philippines
  • How author of best-seller exposed ‘one percent’ economic elite
  • Bangko Sentral readies new bank lending rules
  • Technology

  • Cloud strength helps Microsoft earnings top Street
  • Vatican announces hashtag for April 27 canonizations
  • Enrile in Masters of the Universe, Lord of the Rings?
  • Top Traits of Digital Marketers
  • No truth to viral no-visa ‘chronicles’
  • Opinion

  • Editorial Cartoon, April 25, 2014
  • No deal, Janet
  • Like making Al Capone a witness vs his gang
  • MERS-CoV and mothers
  • A graduation story
  • Global Nation

  • China welcomes PH apology
  • Only 4 Etihad passengers not accounted for
  • Abandoned in Malta,15 PH seamen return
  • Senator hopes PH will also get same vow
  • HK victims to get P115M; traders raised money
  • Marketplace