No untoward incident monitored in PH amid Sabah row—PNP
MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine National Police said it has not monitored any untoward incident which can be related to the developments on the territorial dispute between the Philippines and Malaysia, a spokesman said Monday.
Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said PNP chief, Director General Alan Purisima, has ordered ground commanders and regional directors all over the country to monitor developments in the issue considering its possible effects on an area’s security aspect.
“[But] as of this morning naman . . . [base sa] ipinadadala ng mga regional directors, wala tayong nakikita na any untoward incident na I would say is related sa nangyayari sa Sabah,” Cerbo said.
He also said the PNP was working with the Philippine Coast Guard and the Armed Forces of the Philippines to make sure that sympathizers of Sultan Jamalul Kiram III would not be able to travel to Lahad Datu in Sabah, Malaysia as it may “aggravate” the situation.
Sabah had been the site of clashes between the followers of the Sultanate and Malaysian forces that started Friday.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94