APEC 2015 APEC 2015 APEC 2015

PH immigration awaits travel papers for 9 Myanmar crew


09:11 AM February 21st, 2013

By: Tetch Torres, February 21st, 2013 09:11 AM

Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David on Thursday said they were waiting for travel documents from the Myanmar embassy for the repatriation of the nine  surviving crewmen of a Myanmar ship that sunk last week off the coast of Bolinao , Pangasinan.

David said the nine crewmen were turned over by the BI to the custody of the Myanmar embassy last Monday.

They were identified as Kyi Win, Khin Maung Win, Aung Kyaw Khine, Aung Thu Nyein, Win Saw, Win Min Thein, Aung San Win, Thant Zin Moe, and Cho Aye.

Theodore Pascual, BI bay service section acting chief, disclosed that until last Monday the Myanmar nationals have been under the custody of immigration officials in Region 1 since the mishap occurred last February 16.

Pascual said the crewmen were initially under the custody of the BI field office in Dagupan before they were turned over to the BI office in San Fernando City , La Union.

“They were eventually turned over to the Myanmar embassy which is now processing their travel documents which are required to facilitate their repatriation,” Pascual explained.

A crew member died while 14 others went missing when the foreigners’ vessel sank Saturday night.

The Philippine Coast Guard said the MV Arita Bauxite encountered engine trouble and sank 17 nautical miles (31 km) northwest of Cape Bolinao at about 11:30 p.m.

The nine survivors were reportedly rescued by a passing Chinese vessel. Two of them were hurt and were immediately airlifted to San Fernando City for treatment.

Disclaimer: Comments do not represent the views of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments which are inconsistent with our editorial standards. FULL DISCLAIMER

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.