Quantcast
Latest Stories

On-again, off-again South Korea rocket launch is on again

By

Outgoing NDRRMC executive director Benito Ramos said the “no-fly, no-sail, and no-fishing” zones would include the entire Bicol region, Samar and Leyte in Eastern Visayas, and Surigao del Norte, Surigao del Sur, Siargao Island, and Dinagat Islands province in the Caraga region.

Once again, the Philippines is on alert for the satellite launch of South Korea that has been postponed at least three times last year.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) has announced a “no-fly, no-sail, and no-fishing” zone in the regions of Bicol, Eastern Visayas, and Caraga as a precautionary measure for the satellite launch that could take place between Wednesday and Feb. 8.

The restrictions would be implemented only between 2:30 p.m. and 6 p.m., when the satellite launch is scheduled to take place. (The launch is scheduled between 3:30 p.m. and 7 p.m., Korea time).

The entire launch is expected to take 20 minutes.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) notified the NDRRMC of South Korean’s plans to push through with its satellite launch.

Outgoing NDRRMC executive director Benito Ramos said the “no-fly, no-sail, and no-fishing” zones would include the entire Bicol region, Samar and Leyte in Eastern Visayas, and Surigao del Norte, Surigao del Sur, Siargao Island, and Dinagat Islands province in the Caraga region.

As previously announced, the exclusion zone covers 540 nautical miles east of the eastern seaboard of the Philippines.

South Korea’s 3rd Science and Technology Satellite-2 (STSAT-2) aboard Korea Space Launch Vehicle-1 (KSLV-1) was initially scheduled to launch on Oct. 26 from the Naro Space Center on Naro Island in Goheung County, South Jeolla, some 485 kilometers south of Seoul.

Since then, it has been postponed at least three times.


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Foreign affairs , Global Nation , NDRRMC , Philippines , Rocket launch , South Korea

  • http://twitter.com/MarLouWang Marlou Wang

    North Korea should temporarily provide food for fishermen family for a day or two if they are prohibited to go fishing. Many pinoys in the coastal areas may be affected.

    • http://profile.yahoo.com/B3CCVZJAWN2HGRB2NMIP6IIFUE emmanuel jr

      south korea po.hindi North Korea.. 



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • Magnitude-7.5 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
  • Title of new Hillary Clinton book: ‘Hard Choices’
  • Filipinos, Dutch re-enact crucifixion of Christ
  • 14 killed in car bombing in Homs
  • 57-nation group plays key Ukraine monitoring role
  • Sports

  • Nadal ousted by Ferrer in Monte Carlo quarters
  • Pacquiao shorts in Bradley fight sold for P1.7M in LA auction
  • Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants
  • Alonso sets the pace in Chinese GP practice
  • Heat seek Three-peat but Spurs, Pacers top seeds
  • Lifestyle

  • Levine designs womenswear with help from fiancee
  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
  • Ford Mustang turns 50 atop Empire State Building
  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • Entertainment

  • EXO postpones release of mini album ‘Overdose’
  • ‘X-men’ filmmaker slams ‘fabricated’ sex attack claims
  • Singer Chris Brown’s bodyguard on trial in DC
  • Whoopi Goldberg debuts as marijuana columnist
  • ‘X-men’ director accused of sex assault on teen boy
  • Business

  • Italy sells luxury state cars on eBay
  • Asian shares mostly up in quiet trade
  • Dollar up in Asia on US jobs data, Ukraine deal
  • Barbie doll has a problem
  • Oil prices mixed ahead of long Easter weekend
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Filipina accomplice arrested for fake bills in Malaysia
  • DoH denies Filipino nurse no longer positive for MERS virus
  • WHO warns vs spread of MERS-Cov, urges vigilance in taking precautions
  • Last call for nominations to ’14 Presidential Awards
  • San Francisco business coalition slams proposed tax on sugary drinks
  • Marketplace