Filipino death toll in Algeria crisis rises to eight
MANILA, Philippines—The Department of Foreign Affairs said that another Filipino has been confirmed killed in last week’s siege by Islamic militants of a remote natural gas plant in Algeria, bringing to eight the total number of Filipino fatalities.
The eighth Philippine fatality is a male, said Foreign Affairs Spokesman Raul Hernandez, without naming the victim.
“Today, our team in Algeria will be able to see the other unidentified remains,” he said.
“We have already informed their next of kin,” he said but refused to identify the victims saying it was upon the request of their families.
“Nakiusap sila na respetuhin ang kanilang pagdadalamhati,” Hernandez said.
In an interview on Radyo Inquirer, Hernandez said that one Filipino worker remained unaccounted for, while four were still recovering from their wounds at an Algiers hospital.
The Philippine government has said 12 other Filipino workers survived the 72-hour hostage drama in the north African desert.
Dozens of foreigners were killed during a four-day standoff that ended in a bloody showdown with Algerian commandos on Saturday, with reports of summary executions. With Agence France-Presse
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94